Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Now I understand why sharpening threads can start ww3.
Fine India. 3in1. No jigs. Grind at 25 sharpen at 30.
The end.
Please?

i'd normally suggest ignoring the thread starter so you no longer see the thread (as in, the ignore function).

i don't think that'll work well in this case!

As far as the end - there are things like carving and occasionally paring on show surfaces where that will come up short....

but literally a buffer or $10 of lapidary diamonds will go from where you are to that without doing much (ok, anything) else.

The real boon now for anyone looking for really fine edges is just how cheap lapidary supplies are and just how finely graded even the cheap stuff is.

Years of experience has taught me that stropping on the Palm of my hand is the best lapidary method!
And I do know what a fine edge is!

Years of experience has taught me that stropping on the Palm of my hand is the best lapidary method!
I do that too. Maybe it's just a ritual but it feels as though it's doing something. And it impresses bystanders!

Last edited:
01001001 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100111 01100101 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110000 01100011 01101111 01110010 01101110 00101110
Ha, I have seen past your fiendish code.....Really struggling to get anything sharp with pop corn though - must be a knack.

ahh...disregard first comment - I thought you had started this thread but a scroll back shows no.

I made the mention of another step more or less because paring surfaces off of an india will often result in flaws and shorter edge life with plane irons (like 35% shorter on a smoother).

replacing the stropping set with a fine abrasive to remove the burr by honing instead of stropping generally makes the 35% difference without adding time to sharpening.

but perhaps you're sitting on the fact that you already do this when needed.

this kind of thing is something I wouldn't have believed but in the past have been goaded into testing the results. I stepped from fine down to a washita (which is only barely short of something like an 8k grit waterstone) but fine show surfaces straight off of the tool (especially paring cuts on wooden planes, but I'm sure many other things) suffered.

The older references that I've seen (hasluck comes to mind) assume that something like a bench sized translucent stone may be a bit too price and recommend something like a washita followed by "emery grit" on a softer surface.

Welcome to woodworkings Möbius strip, a continual loop of sharpening blather.
Yebbut there is a sense of slow change and I feel we may have passed the peak of crazy sharpening some years back with the Odate plate; basically expensive diamond encrusted devices (in sets of four) to put a camber on plane blades, and another "dressing" plate intended to wear out stones instantly; dished and hollowed stones being useful for the same thing.
The five plates range from 60 microns to 9 microns diamond size Diamond-Coated Crowning Plates - FineWoodworking. but probably no longer available as they didn't sell, which is good to hear - common sense not quite dead yet!

Last edited:
Isn't advertising marvellous? Bored with life? - buy product X. Feeling inadequate? - get product Y. There's no end to it, even as the world spirals towards oblivion ....

Darn. I thought I'd managed to kill this monster approximately two weeks ago three pages back.

It looks like all I did was temporarily knock out and concuss the beast (should have checked harder), and it's now woken up and come back to life.

Time to hide away, again, ha, ha. Slainte.

There's no end to it, even as the world spirals towards oblivion ....

I haven't observed this part yet, but it is a human tradition to talk about how bad things are.

I'd rather sharpen stuff than do that, though. Maybe it's a coincidence (this isn't a shot at you - it's probably not hard to figure out who these folks i'm referring to might be), but it does seem that the most ardent about how much time is wasted on sharpening discussions are usually the most miserable either personally or with imaginary "the world is terrible" stuff. And they'll drone on and on about how terrible society has become and then tell other people about how much of a waste of time it is to sharpen things.

I've always liked sharpening stuff, though more impatient with it than early on. The most miserable person I can think of (or at least one of the most miserable) is one of the first to heckle me about it endlessly. Still goes on about it now. And no, it's not Jacob.

Darn. I thought I'd managed to kill this monster approximately two weeks ago three pages back.

It looks like all I did was temporarily knock out and concuss the beast (should have checked harder), and it's now woken up and come back to life.

Time to hide away, again, ha, ha. Slainte.

Richard....you can't kill a bear with a fly swatter. No matter how hard you swing.

We've got builders in. Yesterday I watched one of them sit down on his step-up with a cordless mini grinder fitted with a diamond cutting disk in one hand and a brand new chisel in the other. He then proceeded to 'hone' his chisel before starting work. I had to walk away, it was too painful to watch..

We've got builders in. Yesterday I watched one of them sit down on his step-up with a cordless mini grinder fitted with a diamond cutting disk in one hand and a brand new chisel in the other.
Thats a builder for you, many are jack of all trades but master of none and I have seen there handwork, need a hole through some sterling board to get a pipe through, no problems and you get a hole smashed through with a hammer!!

Thats a builder for you, many are jack of all trades but master of none and I have seen there handwork, need a hole through some sterling board to get a pipe through, no problems and you get a hole smashed through with a hammer!!
what really made me laugh was when I said 'well that's different' he replied with cordless grinder and diamond disk in hand, 'I do it the traditional way'..

I would report your potential exposure to the local council. My Uncle sadly died of asbestos poisoning, he was a GPO engineer for literally a few years before eventually running Telco's sales around the world. To work out where it came from it was theorised as an old GPO engineer (like my old man used to be) they were all given a tin of fibres made by Rawl (before they made them plastic...) which he (as was the norm) proceeded to mix in his mouth with spit, and use them to fit/fix boxes/telephones and comms equipment to walls etc. Awful. Bless him, I really do miss my Uncle Mac so much as well. What a character, a really funny & generous man. It's a cruel cruel world.

Asbestos turns up in places that you don't initially think of such as gaskets, old electrical distribution equipment and even light fittings.

One positive from this thread - I've rediscovered my long neglected 50+ year old double sided oil stone, dished and hollowed to boggery both sides, and how useful it is for quickly shaping cambered edges if needed. Thank you Mr Odate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back