sharpening technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":wvbl48kn said:
John15":wvbl48kn said:
I don't use a guide but frequently check my hand held angle with a plastic 30 degree set square. This works fine for me, a sort of half-way house you might say.
John
I do the same. Because I'm trying hard to avoid rounding-over I tend to do edges bit under 30º so I check every now and then with a set-square and usually raise the angle a touch.

I thought you rounded your bevels anyway? :?

Time out guys :!:

Anyone would think you were a bunch of spotty adolescent teenagers on a Facebook crusade against each other :roll:

FWIW, and this is my PERSONAL opinion mind, I'm not joining either camp on this debate.

When I first started out after leaving school, I found guides to be pretty handy as I could never get the same bevel angle twice by hand and always ended up with convex cutting edges. However, I persevered and after many years of on-off practise I can now get pretty standard results by hand across my range of blades. I don't aim for a perfect 30* or whatever but I now get consistency and straight edges so I'm happy.

I can see why a guide is of value to some, it reduces human error to a large extent, providing the guide is accurate that is. Me personally though, I prefer to feel the feedback you get sharpening unaided, I can feel when the burrs are gone and I have a smooth working face. You can hear the tone of the stroke change. You get neither of these using a guide and both of these points are important to me.

*Waits in the corner for the dung to start being thrown at me* :mrgreen:

phil.p":2wapl91a said:
Jacob":2wapl91a said:
John15":2wapl91a said:
I don't use a guide but frequently check my hand held angle with a plastic 30 degree set square. This works fine for me, a sort of half-way house you might say.
John
I do the same. Because I'm trying hard to avoid rounding-over I tend to do edges bit under 30º so I check every now and then with a set-square and usually raise the angle a touch.

I thought you rounded your bevels anyway? :?
The number of times I've explained this!
Yes to round bevels (it makes sharpening easier) but rounded under the angle, not over.
Imagine a flat 30º bevel - using a lazy freehand stroke as I do this would end up with the heel of the bevel rounded off but the toe (edge ) still at 30º.
Rounding over is where the 30º gets cranked up higher and is to be avoided.

MMUK":25463z0j said:
Anyone would think you were a bunch of spotty adolescent teenagers on a Facebook crusade against each other :roll:

I'm on no crusade and I don't give two farts how someone else gets their edge. Its just damn ridiculous when someone intentionally seeks to troll here on a daily basis because it amuses his whim.

I'm done here.

Thanks for anyone who has given great advice/help.

Mods. Delete my account.

Thanks.

iNewbie":v4a7h5a6 said:
Its just damn ridiculous when someone intentionally seeks to troll here on a daily basis because it amuses his whim.

I'm done here.

Mods. Delete my account.

So you're going to let the troll win?

That's the whole point in trolling. If you let him/her win then it's not going to stop is it?

iNewbie":2bc66abw said:
MMUK":2bc66abw said:

I'm on no crusade and I don't give two farts how someone else gets their edge. Its just damn ridiculous when someone intentionally seeks to troll here on a daily basis because it amuses his whim.

I'm done here.

Thanks for anyone who has given great advice/help.

Mods. Delete my account.

Thanks.

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy." - Isaac Newton

BugBear

Gosh. It is all getting terribly serious isn't it? Toys thrown out of prams, the distant sound of slamming doors!

Julian":1hc75lg3 said:
Gosh. It is all getting terribly serious isn't it? Toys thrown out of prams, the distant sound of slamming doors!

What is the point of your post in this sharpening thread?

I think we should stick to being nice, if some one gets offended then we need to look at what we have said.

Pete

I used to learn a lot from these sharpening 'debates' and naively thought they were a robust exchanges of ideas, now I realise it's just the empty repetition of dogma for the sake of cheap point scoring, I'll still watch the car crash for the good stuff, and much as I really respect everyone's ability, to misquote an opinion about Brian Wilson - professional woodworkers, amateur human beings

Cheerio,

Carl

As far as I'm concerned it still is all robust exchanges of ideas. Also a bit of a challenge in that quite a few people don't get the idea straightaway, not to mention the hostility and abuse! It does seem odd to be having to repeatedly explain an extremely simple process which has been in use for generations and is still widely used.
I think people don't realise that "the new sharpening" is a very recent phenomenon, coming mainly from the amateur woodwork media circus.

PS I realise as I write this that it will cause some people to huff, puff and get angry, but that seems to be their problem, not mine. It takes all sorts!

Everything you say is true Jacob - and for the record I am attempting to sharpen more or less according to your traditional methods, however I really don't see the need for the hostility and abuse and cheap point scoring on both sides, I used to find it amusing, then tedious, now somewhat depressing - probably the time of year. I know a lot of this is common on forums of all types, so no doubt will become a part of life, it's disapointing as otherwise I've got a huge ammount from this forum - still, hang onto the good stuff and don't let the b*****ds grind you down I guess!

Cheeio,

Carl

markturner":sgboo3ph said:
O lordy.........what have you done........

Told you........ (hammer) :D

Although, does Jacob not realize we have heard it all before? I would agree about the trolling.........its like he takes some kind of malicious delight in it. Seriously, I cant believe the same old stuff gets re posted in some sharpening thread every week or two.........

markturner":3r8ot1k6 said:
Although, does Jacob not realize we have heard it all before?...........
But the OP hasn't. Or is he a troll too?

Jacob":2o8emfjx said:
markturner":2o8emfjx said:
He also likes to use provocative statements. ......
Well true I admit it. Makes for livelier discussion.

Perhaps a little more sincerity, and little less deliberate provocation might be helpful.

Jacob":2o8emfjx said:
I realise as I write this that it will cause some people to huff, puff and get angry, but that seems to be their problem, not mine.

Nope, too much to hope for,

BugBear

markturner":1mgp43vj said:
does Jacob not realize we have heard it all before? .

To be fair we`ve heard the other side of the argument all before as well, does it therefore make the others who keep repeating their lines on their way of sharpening trolls?

Perhaps it would be better when sharpening is bought up again, as it seems to be weekly, for the moderators to delete the new thread & point the new poster in the direction of the already large collection of sharpening threads, or at least make understanding & using the search facility part of signing up procedure......no I can`t see it happening either :(

Regards.

dj.

If the mods could be bothered I'd suggest they delete all posts which aren't about the issue itself, and/or are abusive, sarcastic, moaning, accuse people of trolling etc etc. That'd reduce this thread by 2/3rds! This post would go too of course.

Giacamo as usual, writes sense for half of the time and ordure for the other half.

Many of his assertions are mischievous and thoroughly misleading.

"Planecraft" by Hampton, first published in 1934, advocates two bevels and the use of a honing guide for "the amateur and the younger professional".

So quite when Jakob's thinks "new" sharpening started, would be of great interest.

David Charlesworth

Dave you should stop accusing people of writing "ordure" etc. It lowers the tone. That's twice you've done it in this thread, not to mention various other heavy handed comments.
If you want to talk about sharpening (or anything) you should try to be a bit more civil.

Back