sharpening technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi I am fairly new to the dark arts of hand tools sharpening and thanks to you guys I have gleaned some good advice

I have gone down the trend diamond stone route so my question isn't about which method as in water,oil,diamond , etc but more on technique

I have tried on some chaep chisels but the techniques used by hand I still struggle with I scared of maknjg a dogs cahoneys on anything decent

I seen paul sellers video on you tube which is quite good I know he was saying he dosent advocacte a micro bevel but has a technique that makes the bevel concave when he was doing a chisel

frankly its all making my head hurt (hammer)

I see he has a dvd on sharpening does anyone know if it would be suitable for a newbie ? or any resources

I am a bit of a step my step kind of approach guy

with the various hand tools I getting scorps knifes etc I know there is diff techniques for diff tools

was hoping to get a dvd or book that goes through the basics for diff tools for beginners

thanks mark

Paul Sellers sharpening is about as easy as you can get it and is ideal for beginners. He uses diamond plates in his video but oil stones will do just the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ykVzL2VAM
It's pretty much traditional sharpening as done by millions past and present.
If you are a beginner I wouldn't look any further - not least because there's a confusing mass of alternatives on offer, some of them no good at all!

Mark

If you read back through the longest threads in the hand tools section, you will see that there are several different ways to sharpen. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, which I am not going to repeat here. (Each has its defenders and detractors too.)
I suggest that you don't try to read everything that there is on sharpening, as you will be pulled this way and that, and left feeling confused. Pick one way and stick to it. If it works for you, that's what matters.
If you are worried about spoiling tools, get some cheap ones to practise on.

I have a honing guide that clamps over the chisel so you can run it along a stone. I never use it as I prefer to do things by hand. You're welcome to it if you pop me your address on a PM.

think-of-the-children.jpg

when I was out and looked at my phone I saw a post from someone offering me a a sharpening jig for chisel and to send them a pm

now I looking at laptop cant seem to see it I must have been dreaming #-o

anyway thanks for advice all of you the paul sellers short you tube video looks good and how he breaks it down does his dvd cover different tools to sharpen or strop like scorps and knives ?

mark

mac1012":1dyw7bcu said:
when I was out and looked at my phone I saw a post from someone offering me a a sharpening jig for chisel and to send them a pm

now I looking at laptop cant seem to see it I must have been dreaming #-o

MMUK":1dyw7bcu said:
I have a honing guide that clamps over the chisel so you can run it along a stone. I never use it as I prefer to do things by hand. You're welcome to it if you pop me your address on a PM.

Mark - You mentioned books. Two that have been mentioned quite often are 'Sharpening: The Complete Guide' by Jim Kingshott, and 'The Complete Guide to Sharpening' by Leonard Lee. It seems both books are out of print, but secondhand copies are available from http://www.abebooks.co.uk

I can personally reccommend Jim Kingshott's book, and I've heard high praise of Lee's work, too.

There's another by Ron Hock which is also often mentioned in a very positive light, too. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the title...

---------------

Once you've got some kit (which you have) and a technique that suits you, it's a case of practicing. Like a lot of things in life, it's easy enough when you've got a bit of experience, but getting the experience can be a bit frustrating for a while. Just keep at it - results will get steadily better.

thanks all for the advice and taking the time to reply the perfect edge book looks really good , I think I prefer a book to a dvd so I can take it into workshop and digest it more

going to be added to my Christmas stocking list , although I don't think I will be buying the hardback copy that amazon are quoting at 112 pounds !! I will order the soft back at 17.99 :lol:

mark

mac1012":1umaq6l6 said:
thanks all for the advice and taking the time to reply the perfect edge book looks really good , I think I prefer a book to a dvd so I can take it into workshop and digest it more

going to be added to my Christmas stocking list , although I don't think I will be buying the hardback copy that amazon are quoting at 112 pounds !! I will order the soft back at 17.99 :lol:

mark

good choice :)

TT

For anyone who has all 3 books mentioned: What do the Kingshott and Lee books offer that the Hock, doesn't?

I have the Hock and though its good -and talks alot about Metallurgy- I felt it could have been somewhat better. Maybe thats just me though.

There you go - 3 books - probably 100 times more information and 100 times more kit than was available to a beginner say 50 years ago.
Nobody gave it much thought - it wasn't difficult then, it is now. :roll:

Latest posts

Back