sharpening technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMUK":16qi6gcq said:
Popcorn anyone?
popcorn.gif

You made me choke on my drink!!!

Fantastic two word comment =D> =D> =D>

(not taking sides though, I might need some help in the future)

David C":29tt8x76 said:
Precision grinding?

That must be very suspect but I have not worked out why, yet.....................

David

Yes it is, very suspect. I use the standard toolrest of my grinder as the reference for all further sharpening.

My next goal in sharpening is getting rid of the grinder too from my regular sharpening sequence. But I have to finish a few saws first.

I have never found any problem with exerting force, near to the edge of the tool.

Recently read of a craftsman who leads with the wheels, thus making it easier still to exert force near the edge.

Flatness of stone is irrelevant unless you want a dead straight edge. I forgot to mention that camber is easily obtained as is the correction of a slightly out of square edge due to imperfect grind.

David

I don't use a guide but frequently check my hand held angle with a plastic 30 degree set square. This works fine for me, a sort of half-way house you might say.
John

John15":2iiplcmh said:
I don't use a guide but frequently check my hand held angle with a plastic 30 degree set square. This works fine for me, a sort of half-way house you might say.
John
I do the same. Because I'm trying hard to avoid rounding-over I tend to do edges bit under 30º so I check every now and then with a set-square and usually raise the angle a touch.

iNewbie":5p0ff36x said:
Why do you need a set square. Ah, you need a guide yourself. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't say I "need" it but it's handy to check things occasionally.

I'm often surprised at how angry and sarcastic the "opposition" is but I suppose really they are angry with themselves for not being able to do it. But they talk themselves out of it - I'm quite certain everybody could manage without training wheels if they would just stop being so timid and negative.

Have a go chaps, stop wittering and sulking, you too can go to the ball! :lol:

It's like being back in the playground stupid insults flying about.

Why can't you accept we are all different and need to do things differently?

For pity's sake shut up about guides/freehand for once.

Pete

Racers":27zf9wz0 said:
It's like being back in the playground stupid insults flying about.

Why can't you accept we are all different and need to do things differently?

For pity's sake shut up about guides/freehand for once.

Pete
Somebody is always kicking it off again - it was Dave this morning. I suppose I'll shut up about sharpening when everybody else does.

Need the last word Jacob? that says a lot about you!

Pete

Corneel":2o9u27y2 said:
So, there was no looking back. Guides are indeed a waste of time, and above that they are of no use when you need to sharpen something which doesn't fit in the guide. It is just not logical to sharpen the easy stuff with a guide and the harder stuff, like gouges, freehand. This is all completely rational.

That seems to insult guide users.

Pete

Racers":1yz878fg said:
Corneel":1yz878fg said:
So, there was no looking back. Guides are indeed a waste of time, and above that they are of no use when you need to sharpen something which doesn't fit in the guide. It is just not logical to sharpen the easy stuff with a guide and the harder stuff, like gouges, freehand. This is all completely rational.

That seems to insult guide users.

Pete
Of course it isn't an insult, it's merely an opinion. Should we put "IMHO" between every word to protect the sensitive?
If you said the opposite "Guides are indeed not a waste of time" nobody would be insulted. May or may not agree but that's another thing.

Jacob my point is that it didn't need to be posted.

Now see if you can walk away

Pete

Wait a second. After David posts that I am part of a mob and that I am not rational and talking b****it, it is an insult when I express my opinion about honing guides being a waste of time? Even after I have rationally explained that that is indeed true (in my opinion)?

To be honest, I am not really insulted. Nobody can insult me on an Internet forum. It's all good fun, ribbing each other back and forth.

Jacob":3q4px6yf said:
iNewbie":3q4px6yf said:
Why do you need a set square. Ah, you need a guide yourself. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't say I "need" it but it's handy to check things occasionally.

I'm often surprised at how angry and sarcastic the "opposition" is but I suppose really they are angry with themselves for not being able to do it. But they talk themselves out of it - I'm quite certain everybody could manage without training wheels if they would just stop being so timid and negative.

Have a go chaps, stop wittering and sulking, you too can go to the ball! :lol:

You do need it, its why you keep it and continue to use it. In reality, its your training wheels - even you should see the irony of it! :Go Freehand lads while I hang onto the side of the swimming pools edge....

I'm not angry - far from it, just bored to tears of being drearily lectured on what people need/should-use and should be doing.

I'm just wondering how many other hang-ups you have on what people do/use... Your like the Mary Whitehouse of woodworking forums. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back