Sharpening question - Don't panic!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there had any experiences they'd care to relate regarding the sharpening of hollow mortice chisels? In particular with THIS KIT from Aminster. I have about 50No. mortices to make in Oak for my current project, and want to make sure the Japanese pattern chisel and bit I have in this size are up to the task before starting - they've seen a fair bit of action already.

They also do a diamond cone sharpening set, which appeals due to being significantly cheaper, but looks like a right faff to use.

Any thoughts?

I have a very old (1950s or 60s I think) version of the first one and it does a fine job. I've not tried an un-piloted cone like the latter.

As an aside, I seem to remember a FWW article extolling the virtues of polishing the inside of the chisel to improve chip-clearance.
S

Wellswood
Got the Axi kit and find it useful. I tend to use the cone in a hand drill as I found the pillar drill a little brutal. Agree with Steve, keep the surfaces polished.

John

Sorry John, but which kit do you have, the one with the different pilots that looks like a countersink bit or the diamond cone one?

Hi Mark,

I bought what looks to be an identical set of those from Rutlands, either last year or the year before. It works well and doesn't require much effort. I even put a 'rough' video of it all on YouTube, if you have a spare ten minutes. ;-)

Thanks for the replies guys, a great help. Great video too Olly, it's always reassuring to actually see the process, thanks.

I reckon I'll go for the set with the pilot guides despite the expense, the diamond cones just look far too easy too make a hash of the job (and are suspiciously cheap). It's a shame they don't offer them in anything other than the whole kit though - I've already got more than enough diamond stones :roll:

Weather forecast looks OK for tomorrow so I reckon a quick ride down to Axminster in Sittingbourne may be in order - those Christmas vouchers won't spend themselves after all :wink:

I've also got the Axy kit. It works very well, especially if you use a little Trefolex on the 'countersink' cutter.

I gave myself a quite nasty cut a couple of months back, when I brushed the back of my hand under the chisel whilst setting up the morticer!

I can't imagine how you'd get a decent result with the diamond version though - you need the centre guide.

E.

Latest posts

Back