Sharpening Planer Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Quick question does anyone know where the best place to get planer blades sharpened professionally in the Devon area?
Or if needs be further afield and send away to be done.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

I get mine done at Southern Counties Saw Services in High Wycombe. They are an unpleasant company to deal with, in fact I'm always surprised they are still in business but they are cheap, get the job done when they say they will and I'm sure that they would do the job by post. They charged me £5 to do 2 12" blades.

Number is 01494 520611.

The Wood Butcher":3dnbsilf said:
They are an unpleasant company to deal with...

How so? Makes me think of those sorts of places where a customer walking in is made to feel you've disturbed the delicate balance in the store and should leave. :wink:

Dibs-h":1qvvn9g8 said:
The Wood Butcher":1qvvn9g8 said:
They are an unpleasant company to deal with...

How so? Makes me think of those sorts of places where a customer walking in is made to feel you've disturbed the delicate balance in the store and should leave. :wink:

Pretty much just that. They have a bulldog that guards the front shop, I believe she is either the boss or the boss's wife, and her usual reaction when you walk in is a mixture of suspicion mixed with contempt.

I had them recut and reset an old Sorby dovetail saw my father in law had kicking around his garage, and her first words after I said I had a saw that needed looking at were "Have you had a go at it and ruined it..?"

Well no, my dear, I hadn't so f!!k you, but I let them do the job anyway and the saw came back in good shape for a machine recut, so I've carried on occasionally using them. The guys in the oily back room seem to do a decent enough job.

Sounds like she could be doing with a good swift kick in the bone of her a**e. I think we all know individuals like that. I always find a suitable sharp retort coupled with a Paddington bear hard stare gets a reaction if not, at least some satisfaction.

Isn't life bad enouh without such people to sadden it further.

BTW I liked Steve Maskerys jig, I might build myself of of those soon

I'm looking to get my blades sharpened also - any tips on removing/replacing them as I havn't done this before.

I have a 12 1/2" sip bench top thicknesser

The Wood Butcher":1fdx76to said:
Pretty much just that. They have a bulldog that guards the front shop, I believe she is either the boss or the boss's wife, and her usual reaction when you walk in is a mixture of suspicion mixed with contempt.

I had them recut and reset an old Sorby dovetail saw my father in law had kicking around his garage, and her first words after I said I had a saw that needed looking at were "Have you had a go at it and ruined it..?"

Well no, my dear, I hadn't so f!!k you, but I let them do the job anyway and the saw came back in good shape for a machine recut, so I've carried on occasionally using them. The guys in the oily back room seem to do a decent enough job.

You've got to pity the poor pineapple married to that. I'd run off to anywhere, than live with that sort of battleaxe! Hell - I'd rather be poor and single that rich and and married to that! :mrgreen:

I must say that my experience with Southern Counties is the complete opposite to WoodButcher. They have always been very pleasant to deal with, both the lady who mans the front desk most of the time as well as the chap who manages the business. They are cheap and offer a first class service in my opinion. I have used them for sharpening planer blades as well as saw blades.

Bluekingfisher":35xz8a86 said:
Sounds like she could be doing with a good swift kick in the bone of her a**e. I think we all know individuals like that.
It's the way I trained them, service with a snarl. Glad to see at least one of my students is keeping up the good work.

:D errr.... I mean, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nice idea Pete, but I especially liked your crown guard idea,mine seems to spend more time off than on the machine and I have never come up with decent system to replace it.
Knives that need sharpening I do my self, following Jim Kingshott's method, using a jig on my pillar drill and a suitable grinding wheel in the spindle.

Roy.

SurreyHills":2x784jf1 said:
I must say that my experience with Southern Counties is the complete opposite to WoodButcher. They have always been very pleasant to deal with, both the lady who mans the front desk most of the time as well as the chap who manages the business. They are cheap and offer a first class service in my opinion. I have used them for sharpening planer blades as well as saw blades.

Then clearly I've caught her at the wrong time of day or perhaps she didn't care for my devilishly stylish haircut, I've only dealt with her and not the guy. My carpenter friends from Wycombe don't speak highly of her either.

As I said before in this thread, they are very fairly priced and their work is good.

David, bandsaw running sweetly now. I did a bit of remachining on the top bandwheel mount to remove the play that Startrite had kindly left from new as there was no wear. (we suspect they had a special, metric only lathe for the axle but an imperial hole stamping machine and never the two were going to meet...) New M42 blade from Tuffsaws and saws a good one.

Just dropped off a few blades today after reading this thread as I have been looking for a saw doctor for a while. Couldn't have been more helpful, from the phone call this am to the friendly banter when I dropped off the blades. Confirm the great prices, look forward to the sharpened blades in a week!

Mind you I don't have a stylish haircut, only "some hair" and some of that is missing!

Shame guys, I used to run a Saw Doctors, but the 80% reduction in our business when the crash hit put a stop to that!
No machines or anything left.
I do have a few contacts still in the trade though.

cutting42":23ehu873 said:
Mind you I don't have a stylish haircut, only "some hair" and some of that is missing!

Truth be told, my haircut is very few peoples' idea of stylish, though frankly I have too much of it and I've been reverting from a luscious dark brown to my natural silvery blond for some years now.... :lol:

Back