Sharpening and Practice Video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":algqe4xa said:
Jacob":algqe4xa said:
Compare the liquid containers in your house and compare the number of wooden ones against other materials and you may see what I mean.

You're right. Time moves on, and technology improves. For example, I have UPVC windows now.

BugBear
That's a pity then. Exterior joinery is one place where timber out performs plastic. Not all new tehnology is an improvement.

Gentlemen

This really isn't a point worth arguing over. Both wooden exterior joinery AND Upvc have their place. The two technologies co-exist happily.....giving people choices over preferences such as aesthetics, insulation, maintenance freedom, longevity etc etc.

Not much point in trying to find an argument when one doesn't need to exist surely :)

Anyone else want to comment on the video? - or do we have to start a new thread for that? ;-)

I thought it was quite a nice intro. I liked that he used ordinary tools and didn't try to make things look difficult. There's a difficult line to choose in this sort of training - you need to tell the learner enough, but not confuse them by trying to say everything that there is to be said. I thought he got that about right most of the time, though the dovetail felt a bit rushed.

Frank at full speed is a thing to behold but he's so fast that no information on how he's doing it or what he's doing can be learned. When he slows down for his DVDs it looks sort of awkward - you can tell he wants to be in his natural working state as a blur.

I would recommend his 'dovetailed Drawer' DVD. It's 30+ years old but is a fantastic watch. In it he tells of his very strict Father who kept throwing his work in the corner and telling him to do it again, until it was 'OK but do it quicker' ...

There is a bit of that showing in this video - the practice he encourages; 'learn to do it by eye, (grinding) it's a lot of fun'. 'Draw a line and cut it away. Do it again ..... and do it again etc.' Cut square without marking, cut an angled line square without marking, cut square down to a scribed line. Rows of practice cuts without expecting anyone to go ahead and cut dovetails before being well practiced in cutting correctly.

If only more video - producing experts adopted the same encouragement to practice disciplines and set about nailing the tricky parts before heading straight into trying the whole thing.

phil.p":21zq3uad said:
Not £ for £ if you're paying someone else to paint and maintain them , they don't. Very few wooden windows are efficient when it comes to heat loss even if double glazed.
Wooden windows are more efficient than the alternatives for heat loss (all other things being equal) - wood is a better insulator.
Plastic windows are likely to fail from 10 to 15 years on. Wooden windows (given routine maintenance) will last forever. Routine maintenance is a lot cheaper than routine replacement.

Dragging things back to the video again - I'm sure was taught that trying to remove excess set by bending the teeth back was a bad idea, and likely to result in broken teeth. Now, I have an old S&J tenon saw which had such poor teeth (some missing, and wonky filing) that I recut them from scratch, but then got a bit heavy handed whilst setting and overdid it. I tried the trick with a couple of end grain blocks of oak - and nothing much happened ! I don't know how hard you'd need to hammer to make a difference. So, I did what I was taught and stoned the teeth a bit instead.

He does tap the block quite hard. I've never tested saw teeth to destruction by repeated bending Tony but I am sure that correction of over setting once would not result in fatiguing them. (Looking for 'fingers crossed' smiley and finding there isn't one).

Hello,

I have not seen the video in question, but this debate is really interesting. My humble comments:
- setting a fine toothed saw properly with a screwdriver is possible, but on fleam toothed saws only, where the teeth are shaped as equilateral or isosceles triangles.
- wood is not the best material for the production of vessels intended for long term storage of water. Barrels (and ships) were waterproofed with wax, bitumen, tar etc. The joints of staves of barrels were sealed with the insertion of flax or line tow. In the Orient vessels made for long term storage were and are lacquered with Oriental lacquer.
-wooden windows are very good insulators, the extruded plastic frames require additional PU filling to approach that. And wood is a renewable, environmentally friendly material, PVC and PU are produced from oil and gas for a strong contrast.
-Klausz was born and raised in Hungary. I am Hungarian. So I know that his education and training was not that mysteriously refined and/or extraordinary. He is a cabinetmaker and not a sage or magician.

Have a nice day!

János

Latest posts

Back