Sharpening and Practice Video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank is a very jolly host. Splendid collection of plumb bobs?

I would love to see a debate between him and Paul Sellers.

i.e. a lifetime each of convex bevel and flat bevel. Oops, nearly said micro bevel.

David

David C":jxvn1io4 said:
Frank is a very jolly host. Splendid collection of plumb bobs?

I would love to see a debate between him and Paul Sellers.

i.e. a lifetime each of convex bevel and flat bevel. Oops, nearly said micro bevel.

David

Paul Sellers vs. American/Canadian woodworkers would be interesting. His methods are completely different from theirs.
But what do I care, they all work.
Sam

an interesting "water board joint 12 odd minutes in. not heard of that before.

Yes I saw that...he describes it as the first invention of caulking!! I have to say, creating a groove in one of the mating pieces....how would that add to its water proofing?? Is it that the glue collects in the trench and forms a better seal? I was struggling to understand how that might work?

He crushes the fibers of the wood along the line with the wire, then planes the surface of the edge flush. When it gets wet the crushed line expands out of the surface of the edge.
It is hard to see but in the last close - up, after he has wet the demo piece, the tongue is definitely raised.

See also the Woodwright's Shop episode Wood and Water. Can't seem to find a link at the moment though ...

Richard T":36nxrdex said:
I'm not sure how this has got away with being on youtube, it might not be there for long.

I'd echo that. It's not supposed to be there and if you want to watch it, you ought to buy it. This sort of thing is pretty niche and if folk are just going to copy it off on to youtube, then they're not going to get enough money to do more in the future.

Richard T":20xc0e6a said:
He crushes the fibers of the wood along the line with the wire, then planes the surface of the edge flush. When it gets wet the crushed line expands out of the surface of the edge.
It is hard to see but in the last close - up, after he has wet the demo piece, the tongue is definitely raised.

See also the Woodwright's Shop episode Wood and Water. Can't seem to find a link at the moment though ...

Thanks for explaining Richard. That's a real "proper craftsman" tip. Fabulous. One of the really excellent nuggets I appreciate this forum for :)

Hmm dunno - more showman than craftsmen IMO. Who keeps water in a wooden box? Barrels yes, and I have encountered wooden cisterns usually lead lined, but otherwise nobody in their right mind!
Surprisingly fussy sharpening techniques for a practical man. Pleasantly free of product placement, but I only watched a bit - it's more than an hour long!

There's what looks like a useful tip at 50 minutes in - for fine tooth saws where a pliers type saw set would be too clumsy, just put a small screwdriver between a pair of teeth, twist it to bend one tooth to the left and another to the right, and repeat.

I did wonder whether that technique would produce a symmetrical set, by twisting between every other pair of teeth ? His saw did seem to cut straight though.

I did watch it through, some interesting nuggets, but it did not encourage me to buy the DVD's - too long and rambling. I'd prefer shorter, focussed videos.

Jacob":ljaehst1 said:
Who keeps water in a wooden box?

The Japanese, amongst others.

I imagine Klausz learnt the technique from traditional practise in his home country.

Learn from other cultures, Jacob, "open mind" and all that.

BugBear

I've seen wooden cisterns, made with dovetail joints, in old National Trust houses and even in old public toilets - sometimes it pays to look up instead of down!

Jacob":3saqj6pe said:
Hmm dunno - more showman than craftsmen IMO. Who keeps water in a wooden box? Barrels yes, and I have encountered wooden cisterns usually lead lined, but otherwise nobody in their right mind!
Surprisingly fussy sharpening techniques for a practical man. Pleasantly free of product placement, but I only watched a bit - it's more than an hour long!

Modern plastics have only been around for a comparatively short time, and rust-resistant metals can be expensive and difficult to work into water-tight vessels.

Some timbers are very good at water resistance; water pipes were made from hollowed elm tree trunks, and can last very well indeed, as many an archaeologist working on Roman sites can attest. The now redundant village pump often had an elm barrel.

Looking at it from another viewpoint, how is it that wooden boats and ships stay afloat? They have to keep water out rather than in, but have far more joints to make water-tight than a stone pond. They work, though - and centuries of experience will attest to that.

As for 'showman rather than craftsman', Klausz has built a cabinetmaking business that is clearly successful enough to earn him a living, and in a country not his own. So he's clearly no woodworking or business mug. The video was a good demonstration of the basics of the topics covered, unfussy and informative. If you're an established woodworker, you don't need to watch it, but it's always interesting to see what other people do even if you choose to do it differently yourself.

AndyT":20g0fpzd said:
I've seen wooden cisterns, made with dovetail joints, in old National Trust houses and even in old public toilets - sometimes it pays to look up instead of down!
And it pays to look inside - they are always either lead, zinc or copper lined.

Jacob":11wukpqn said:
AndyT":11wukpqn said:
And it pays to look inside - they are always either lead, zinc or copper lined.

Ok! You are less shy than I am at climbing about in unexpected places! :lol: :lol:

If there's someone in the next cubicle just say "oops sorry madam I'm a plumber" 8)

Back