Sharpening a no 80 scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

You lot have convinced me to buy a no 80 scraper - something like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Veritas-Cabinet-Scraper-788349.htm

Can I use a jig to sharpen the blade. I have a Tormek which I use for sharpening chisels and planes ......... and the Veritas MK 2 honing guide. Can either of these be use to sharpen the no 80's blade.

Please don't say I have to do it freehand cos I can't!! thats why I have the above to hold my hand and help me do it.

Jack

I have a record 080 which is what the Vertias you linked to is based on. Haven't read the other replies fully yet but just thought I'd say you can't sharpen them on a tormek with the jig as the blade isn't long enough. I free hand sharpened mine on the Tormek and got great results. Not much science to it I don't think specially as it cuts bevel backwards:

DSC00519.jpg

Depending on the wood it will take a full shaving like a plane but shouldn't produce dust otherwise your doing it wrong!

crackerjack":2g5j6w06 said:
Please don't say I have to do it freehand cos I can't!! ....
Well there is no other way.
It's perfectly easy you just have to stop talking yourself out of it. A simple home made jig can help - a piece of 1x2" with a slot in it as a handle so it looks like a paint scraper. Doesn't need to be a good fit - it holds tight as you use it - on a stone; I wouldn't use a machine for such a thin blade and simple operation

Paul's method will undoubtedly produce a keen edge but my method is a lot quicker and easier.
You just work the blade (in handle) up and down your oil stone, like a paint scraper at about 45º. The round side you rock from left to right, then from right to left. When you have (can feel) a bit of a burr on the edges that's it you are finished.
You will probably be told that a Stanley 80 is rubbish - but take no notice it isn't true!

Paul

Can you sharpen the Veritas no 80 blade in the MK 2 honing guide?

Do you know if you can regrind it in a tormek?

Cheers, Andrew

Have never understood the science behind this bevel malarky :? :?

A cabinet scraper has a burr, bent and is pushed forward at an angle......

No 80 has a burr, bent and is pushed forward at an angle......

I have always turned 2 burrs on my upper and lower square edges of the blade and had many hours of uninterrupted scrapery fun :wink: 8) 8)

Great tool by the way for dressing down timber lipping /edgings on laminate surfaces when just blunted a tad :wink: :wink:

Andy

fobos8":t05l0c3y said:
Paul

Can you sharpen the Veritas no 80 blade in the MK 2 honing guide?

Do you know if you can regrind it in a tormek?

Yes, I do mine in the Mk 2 - just set it to 45 degrees.

Haven't tried it in the Tormek yet but I don't see why not.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

toolsntat":2qygf38g said:
Have never understood the science behind this bevel malarky :? :?

A cabinet scraper has a burr, bent and is pushed forward at an angle......

No 80 has a burr, bent and is pushed forward at an angle......

I have always turned 2 burrs on my upper and lower square edges of the blade and had many hours of uninterrupted scrapery fun ...
Not sure if science is the word but the main point of the Stanley 80 is that if you hone it on a hard stone at 45ºish it turns up it's own burr and so is a lot quicker and easier to sharpen than a normal scraper.
Time spent on a complex sharpening system is wasted IMHO. A jig is completely pointless as firstly you don't need that level of accuracy and secondly it taked too long. But a little handle is handy as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the link Mr Chapman

As a newbie to scrapers which burnisher would you recommend. Will any old burnisher from Axminster do or is one in particular better than the others?

Jacko

Latest posts

Back