Sharing Serial Numbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergusmacdonald

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering sharing a database of my tools and I'm wondering whether I should go to lengths to hide the serial numbers. Interested to know what potential issues I may run into if I freely share serial numbers of my tools (specifically the photograph of the sticker/machine plate).

Thanks.

I'm considering sharing a database of my tools and I'm wondering whether I should go to lengths to hide the serial numbers. Interested to know what potential issues I may run into if I freely share serial numbers of my tools (specifically the photograph of the sticker/machine plate).

Thanks.
Just wondering why you would want to do this in the first place

I think sharing the selection of tools I use and my thoughts on them could be useful. I keep the manual, invoice and photo of the machine plate in that database so I either need to move those things somewhere else or be happy to share them. Not happy to share the invoice but wondering about the machine plates.

I can't think of any downside, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Look at it the other way. What would be the benefit of sharing serial numbers ?

The clone ranger? Anyway, when you publish it I could smash the locks on my garage door, report a crime then make an insurance claim with a convincing list of tools and serial numbers for things I never owned. No receipts I say, I kept them in the garage and they went missing too.

Keeping a database is useful - sharing it seems unnecessary. If you want people to know what kit you have in order to attract business then a broad description is enough. If people here are interested in a particular tool they can always post on here, anyone owned a xxxx.

Thinking about lists - I'm always nervous about having my garage pilfered whilst I'm on holiday and not being able to remember or prove what I had in there so I've taken a short video on my phone and just slowly scanned the room so it's clear what is in there if I ever needed to prove it. Quicker than writing it all down for me.

thought I'd mention it in case others wanted to do the same.

I see publishing it as a shopping list for those that don't pay for things. You should give your insurance agent the list in case you have a loss or at least have a friend or relative holding a copy. Making the unpopulated database available to woodworkers so they could fill out their own would be useful.

Pete

I don't see anything good from sharing such info so on principle I never would.
Partly a generational thing ?

Echoing @paulrbarnard 's point and in the nicest possible way - why would anyone be interested ? Do you have unusual kit or expertise in it's use that would be interesting to others ?
If so, then please chime in when people ask for advice, but if you were thinking of sharing here, a data dump will most likely be lost in the noise within a couple of weeks.

On the subject of inventories for insurance and other reasons :

If you buy Bosch pro tools they have an app that facilitates scanning tools, their serials, and registering for the extended 3yr warranty. Mafell, Festool, Mirka and others also do online registrations so that captures a lot of the serial numbers in case of fire or theft.

The inventory video is a great idea.

As I tend to forget where I stash things, I take photos of toolboxes open so I can look through them rather than having to pull out the boxes only to be disappointed :)
I also keep a list to which anything that I misplace and waste time looking for gets added, along with a note of where to look next time :)

Last edited:
Re all the above, and with all due respect, what possible interest would
you have in publishing this information for other people ?
Unless you intend including you geographical address, for would be burglars.
Quite frankly, and I have your interests at heart, why would you ever think of
doing such a thing ? :unsure: :dunno:

At the nth degree a database where everyone registered their tools and could mark as being stolen would really shrink the Avenue for sales of stolen goods.

One or two people doing it seems like it has limited value and exposes you to potential issues

My drills and other powertools get transported to and from my vehicle in those large Asda and Sainsbury’s bags . Nobody see,s what they contain and that’s the the way I like it ..
That's a cool idea.
Maybe you could get a thick black marker and write "horse poo" on the bags too.... I'm sure that would only increase the curiosity levels among the neighbours though 😅

I think sharing the selection of tools I use and my thoughts on them could be useful. I keep the manual, invoice and photo of the machine plate in that database so I either need to move those things somewhere else or be happy to share them. Not happy to share the invoice but wondering about the machine plates.
there are people who case out places to burglarize. If a person listed , 100,000$ of Festool tools, I suspect when you go out to that fancy restaurant your tools will be gone.

Back