Shamrock Trademark.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a matching set of 7 Marples Firmer Chisels from the U.K.

They have boxwood handles. The inscription on the blade's are W. MARPLES & SONS SHEFFIELD, with a Shamrock logo above this.

Can anyone D.O.M. these from the information provided.

Swagman.

William Marples and Sons traded from 1862 to 1960 and I would imagine something as ubiquitous as a box handled firmer would have been in pretty much continuous production for the whole period.

Either way this period pretty much defines the heyday of British toolmaking and although they may not be rare they are still something to cherish.

I'm no expert but I think they used the shamrock over a long period

Its style (of the shamrock) changed & it is this that is datable

Some design/manufacturing details of chisels also varied with time e.g. bolster shape, stamping with "cast steel" etc.

BugBear

Yeah, a long long time I think. I have a catalogue from the 1960's and one from about the 1920's which feature Shamrock tools

And the rest. The shamrock goes back another hundred years to when William Marples started up in 1820. The "& son's" bit makes them post 1860's but as for dating them more accurately than that you'd need to post a picture or two and hope that someone like Alf, Joel or Toolemera turn up with some more refined dating knowledge.

Back