Shaker style table in maple and cherry (finished with pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The table I've got to make is only a small table top one and wont be used for sitting at. I'll taper the inside of the legs then, thanks for the advice. :)

Looking really good Ironballs, and a very thoroughly documented WIP - thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Ed.

Okay, had some to play in the garage so the table has had a bit of attention, still not decided on the finish another contender will be arriving from Axminster tomorrow. The timely arrival of the new Veritas BU smoother helped with the drawer fettling following expansion in the house - what a plane, and er, what a pile of shavings

ebay093.jpg

Once the drawers were a fit again on the central runner and I'd planed off the thickness to cure the concavity issue in the centre I offered up the outer runners and attached, these are M&T with glue and a screw at the other end

ebay083.jpg

ebay084.jpg

Next up were the side drawer guides, centre and side, simple bit of planing to fit and some more drilling - still don't like drilling into my lovely carcass!

ebay085.jpg

After that were the kickers on each side, these were sited by placing a piece of sandpaper on the drawers and then resting the kickers on there and measuring. Again straightforward, but somewhere in the process an error crept in on one drawer meaning that the kicker was too low. This I found out after being glued and screwed. What followed cannot be described as cabinet making, though it did involve a chisel and thankfully is in a part that is not going to be seen, and the drawer does now fit.

After that the stop blocks for the drawers were fitted, glued and screwed to the lower rail with little blocks glued on top. You can also pin these blocks but I think I'm going to leave it with just the glue. Next stop is the top which I'll be looking at tomorrow......

ebay089.jpg

Not quite up to date with my photos but here is some more work I did, whipped out the biscuit jointer to cut the clots in the back rail to locate the buttons for the top.

biscuit.jpg

ebay086.jpg

Then broke out the top for a final finish sand, it had been stored with the drawers on top and a sheet over it so of course it had darkened around the drawers... It would take too much to remove the dark areas and it will all change colour anyway over time, so just reduced the differentiation a bit.

Eventually decided on a brush acrylic satin finish from Axminster that gives a very similar finish to danish oil but with nowhere near the amount of darkening. Went on easily as long as you applied it thinkly, two coats only required though I did give the top 3 coats. No pics of the finish yet, will try and get some this weekend

top.jpg

Interesting comment on the drawer fitting (ie tight) Planing off the drawer sides at the back makes the problem worse...the drawer then gets far too sloppy when you pull it out at the front :x A much better way is to ease the rails each side with some sandpaper stuck with double-sided tape to a bit of scrap ply :wink: Try it, it works :) - Rob

Interesting tip and could be worth trying as I know what you mean about looseness as the drawer pulls out. However, we were told to steer well clear of sandpaper when it came to the drawer sides and runners. The reasoning being that some grit would embed itself in the wood and gradually over time wear grooves in the runners. Not sure quite how long it would take for this to happen though :wink:

Ironballs":92d55b4t said:
The reasoning being that some grit would embed itself in the wood and gradually over time wear grooves in the runners. :wink:
If you were given tulip wood for the drawer sides (as I seem to recollect)...fairly smartly! I actually think that's a pretty lame excuse on the part of your lecturers as easing the runners as described is an acceptable way of getting round the problem...not perfect, but acceptable. Any grit that might come off can soon be sucked up with shop vac or simply brushed off. In an ideal situation, the rear of the drawer opening should be made just a fraction wider than the front opening to stop this from happening. When you're making a decent piece like this, quarter-sawn oak (or something similar) is the only timber to use for drawer sides and runners/kickers...if it happens next time, it might be worth throwing teddy out the pram :lol: - Rob

Looks nice but sadly is is not Shaker but something called 'Shaker Style' whatever that means. Now if it was Shaker (and I've seen the real thing in Ohio) that would be something. It is almost impossible to mimic the majestic simplicty of Shaker furniture without simply copying it... and what would be the point of that. Classic furniture project tho with twin tenons and socket dovetails - I couldn't do it now I've been building with curves so long.

Indeed, that's why this post is called shaker style table :wink:

It is interesting though and even though this was a set piece, I did do quite a bit of research into the shaker movement and why their furniture looks like it does

That's a lovely piece. You can be justifiably proud!

Right, bit of a hiatus whilst I got the drawer knobs sorted out, some PAR ABW, a drawing and a bag of donuts in the direction of my tutor got that sorted. Finished the last bit of fettling on the top fitting and applied some finish all round - went for polyvine wax finish varnish from Axminster in the end. Nice finish, quite like oil but with only a slight yellowing/darkening of the maple.

Fitted the knobs today and then applied the finish to the drawers, one more coat and it'll be done. I'll then get some pictures up of the finished article

Okay, can't quite believe it but there are not outstanding jobs to do (other than fill the drawers with junk) and it's finally finished. Dead chuffed with it and can't quite believe I've managed to make this given I'd not held a chisel since school until just under 2 years ago.

So, here are some pics of the finished article, taken at night with the rather aggressive flash on the digital, but was a bit excited and wanted to get some pictures taken. Will hopefully get some more at the weekend when the sun on the cherry brings it alive and it shimmers with depth - told you I got carried away

passport007.jpg

passport008.jpg

passport009.jpg

passport010.jpg

passport011.jpg

Just thought i would bump this thread and make a comment.

Im currently in the process of making the exact same shaker table other than it is slightly smaller and only having a single drawer.

Im using maple and birdseye maple and they look fantastic.

May i ask where you studied?

Hi, that table was made as part of my second year project at Leeds College of Art's Cabinet Making evening class. I'm still going and doing a chair this year. Are you building on your own or as part of a course?

Cheers

Damian

Back