September Challenge - Please post your entries HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
September. An Oriental rice bowl and chopsticks.

Usual rules:
Open to anyone and everyone.
New work only please.
To be made on the lathe using wood turning tools.
no minimum or maximum size.

Can be made of multiple woods if desired
Decoration, colouring, texturing is allowed, but again remember its about the turning :wink:
The bowl does not need to have a food safe finish unless it will be used for food.

Please post 3 or 4 images of your work along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood (if known) and the objects dimensions etc.

1 showing a general view
1 showing a top down/ internal view
1 showing an underside view
1 optional photo showing any other feature you think might be of interest

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

Please upload your pics and description between ..

10pm on the 26th
and
10pm on the 28th

After this time the thread will be locked for Judging
Results will be given on or around 30th

This months judge will be Paul Hannaby.

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged
The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )
NO Critique or comments on any work until After the Judging and results please.

Good Luck :D

For ornamental or druids :ho2 use only, a bowl from local yew. Chopsticks from pine.

This lump of yew has been haunting me for a while now, so not having any other suitable sized blanks about the place, it was sacrificed.
Usual method for bowl, started on a faceplate and underside turned including a tenon for the gripping of, then flipped and mounted in the jaws, hollowed and shaped with my one and only bowl gouge. I'm getting the hang of sharpening it now :oops: so not much sanding required*. Sanded from 240, 320,400, red and yellow pads and finished with my first successful attempt at spaying acrylic lacquer.
Chopsticks started out as long 'pen' blanks, gripped in the chuck one end and supported by the tail-stock, shaped (skew, and spindle gouge for the ends) and sanded from the tail-stock end back to the head-stock a bit at a time, then TS removed and the point of the stick finished very gently, then the fat end shaped sanded and parted even more carefully.
Chestnut ebonising lacquer to colour and then a squirt with the acrylic lacquer once dried.
Finally a quick light hit with some burnishing cream.

Edit: approx 8cm high by 13cm dia. Chopsticks 22cm

*Top tip - to improve your turning and save money simply neglect to top up your abrasive selection. It means you concentrate just that little bit more to get a decent finish off the tool because you havent got any 180 to start with #-o .

rice4.jpg

rice2.jpg

rice1.jpg

underside1.jpg

Attachments

• underside1.jpg
    underside1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,137
  • rice1.jpg
    rice1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,137
  • rice2.jpg
    rice2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • rice4.jpg
    rice4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,137
Another month another challenge, this month's personal challenge, to turn a bowl using my newly acquired Ellsworth Gouge to do the exterior and interior.

The Rice Bowl is made of Elm, mounted on a face plate to turn the outside of the bowl with the Ellsworth using various cuts and scrapes, all in all a learning curve using the elongated wings of this beast of a gouge. The foot also turned with the same gouge and finished at the intersection between bowl and foot with a detail gouge. A little extra was left on the foot to provide a chuck mount. Outside was sanded and sealed then reversed onto a chuck. All hollowing was done with the Ellsworth, making a very smooth arc from rim to centre with sanding starting at 240 grit. The interior and exterior were sealed, then polished with wax as this set will be decorative and not used for food. Reversed again onto Cole jaws the Ellsworth was used to remove the chucking portion from the foot and finish the base with final polishing of the bowl on the Beale system.

Sticks were made from a bamboo flooring plank cut to 6mm square. Fed through the hollow headstock and finger jaws of the chuck, the first half was rounded with a pen making skew and sanded as I went to 4mm. A tapered beech plug made to fit the mt2 tailstock with a 5mm hole drilled through, made for a decent support which the sticks could gradually be fed through as they were worked leaving 75mm exposed for working. The 6mm square was sanded to remove the sharp corners but leave the flats for the handled section. Cut to length, sealed and polished they do work well.

Sticks 26cm, Bowl 105mm Diameter x 80mm high. Tools used Ellsworth and Detail gouge, with mini skew for sticks.

Sdc10252.jpg

Sdc10254.jpg

Sdc10259.jpg

Sdc10265.jpg

Attachments

• Sdc10252.jpg
    Sdc10252.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,079
  • Sdc10254.jpg
    Sdc10254.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,079
  • Sdc10259.jpg
    Sdc10259.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2,079
  • Sdc10265.jpg
    Sdc10265.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,079
Bowl and chopsticks are made from Sycamore, the chopstick rest is Blackthorn.

The bowl was turned in the usual manner with a 1/2 bowl gouge and a carbide scraper to tidy up a few remaining marks, sanded to 400 grit.

Chopsticks were from 45mm square X 300mm lengths of sycamore. I used a bit of formica to burn the lines in.

They are finished with Shellac

I used Ebonising lacquer for the exterior of the bowl and left it with its natural satin finish. I used Schlag metal leaf for the interior, this is my very first foray into using metal leaf, it was probably not the wisest decision as trying to get a 5 inch square of stuff (so flimsy it broke apart if you breathed near it wrongly) into a sticky round hollow and be smooth afterwards was a challenge and a half! But it was what I wanted to do from the start, so I did.

The bowl is about 4" in diameter, the chopsticks are about 9 inches long and 3/16th at the end.

Ricechop-1sm.jpg

Ricechop-2sm.jpg

Ricechop-3sm.jpg

Ricechop-4sm.jpg

Rush ,rush ,winter is coming on and it better not come in like the last one. Caught us with -20C in the end of October and here we still have 3 months of outside work yet to do. Anyhoo, a bowl in Manitoba maple burl ( a little too big) but a nice piece of wood and chopsticks in cherry, thought they would go nicely with the pink in the bowl. Used bowl gouges and the skew mainly, and tried out a new finish and I dont like the way it flattened(?) the grain and warts on the bowl but maybe next time I will try it over DO . It is a water/oil urethane hybrid and so I thought it would pop the grain a bit but not to be. Sanded through to 400 on the bowl and 220 on the sticks. Bowl is 6 5/8" by 2 3/4" and the sticks are 8 22/32" long. Thanks to all involved and please support Nev in this venture.

Attachments

• P1020150.JPG
    P1020150.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,948
  • P1020149.JPG
    P1020149.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 1,948
  • P1020148.JPG
    P1020148.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,948
  • P1020147.JPG
    P1020147.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,948
Chopsticks :shock:

Well that was a steep learning curve.

All made from beech, 'cos I have some that needs using and I wanted to approach the job with a simple, rustic aesthetic. Bowl and lid turned with bowl gouge and scrapers. I find a miniature parting tool useful for fine-tuning the right angle bits. Chopsticks: now I've picked the failures out of the ceiling, I'll admit to using a miniature gouge and scraper. Took forever.

Everything is sanded to 400 grit, coated with Liberon finishing Oil and finished with Briwax so it can sit on my sideboard.

Bowl is 105 mm across and the chopsticks are 235 x 10.

Challenging, but satisfying. I could be tempted to have a go at another one.

Toodle pip

Pete

Attachments

• ricebowl1.jpg
    ricebowl1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,867
  • ricebowl2.jpg
    ricebowl2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,867
  • ricebowl3.jpg
    ricebowl3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,867
  • ricebowl4.jpg
    ricebowl4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,867
Well, since we got back from holiday a week early, I dove straight in and started on the challenge. This was a challenge for me because I've made very few bowls, and this time i wanted to use the bowl gouge without scrapers. So after a day learning how to sharpen it ( just as well I've got more than one, cos it's quite a bit shorter now) I started on yet another piece of sycamore (remember the tree waiting to be used up, anyway even if I wanted to buy bowl blanks they aren't available here). Actually I was surprised at how easy it is to use the bowl gouge once it's properly sharpened.

And then the chopsticks. While I accept that it's possible to make chopsticks on a lathe, I don't think that it's the preferred method. Now have a box of kindling that'll do nicely for a month of firelighting, and several also rans. I started off with some apricot because i liked the colour against the sycamore and I thought that a dense wood was required. Unfortunately the apricot was not uniformly dense, i think it might be spalted, and sanding gave a corrugated effect as the soft bits were worn away so quickly. My next try was with plum, but the grain wasn't straight and it went straight to firewood, so in the end it was apple, which worked ok but wasn't the colour I wanted, and looked really boring against the sycamore, so I decided to stain it.

I don't know what I should have used, but for the bowl the bowl gouge and a spindle gouge, and for the chopsticks a roughing gouge and the skew. And lots of sandpaper.

Rice bowl 01.jpg

Rice bowl 02.jpg

Rice bowl 03.jpg

Attachments

• Rice bowl 01.jpg
    Rice bowl 01.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,833
  • Rice bowl 02.jpg
    Rice bowl 02.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,833
  • Rice bowl 03.jpg
    Rice bowl 03.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,833
My Rice bowl is 12cm wide and 5cm deep and made of oak; sanded to 400 grit and finished with Chestnut food safe finish, and finished on the outside with wax and then polished.
The bowl is designed to sit in the palm of your hand and the shallow cove about half way up is for your finger tips.
The chopsticks (were a right royal pain) and in the end I made them from a scrap dowel that I tapered I then then sanded two flats so that they don't roll of the table!
I was particularly pleased with the internal curve of the bowl - a nice round internal bottom.

Attachments

• Rice Bowl 1.jpg
    Rice Bowl 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,797
  • Rice Bowl 2.jpg
    Rice Bowl 2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,797
  • Rice Bowl 3.jpg
    Rice Bowl 3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,797
Status
Not open for further replies.