Selling Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I've got a fairly expensive HiFi item for sale on the Bay.
Although it's listed "Collection Only" I've had an offer from someone in Hong Kong - should I be very wary?
Not to sure of the ins and outs of selling stuff abroad through the Bay, though I have bought stuff from foreign lands with no problems.

Rod

My Father in law was selling an expensive record deck and had offers from Hong Kong and he asked me the same question. Is it worth the hassle, heartache and potential nightmare of posting something expensive abroad? That's up to you.

He sold it collection only to someone in the UK. People will travel for expensive items.

You can set your account to reject oversea bids, it's not your Quad ELS it it?

Pete

If it's vintage/valve, Far East interest is quite likely.

There was a guy in my town made a living buying old valve stuff, doing it up, and selling it to Singapore/Hong Kong/Japan

BugBear

Yes it's vintage valve gear but not my Quad stuff - I sold that to Blister who no longer posts on here?
I just wondered if EBay gave any protection to the seller - I've heard they tend to favour the buyer?

Rod

If selling anything that's collect only
And the buyer wants to have a courier collect or you to post against your wishes have him pay by bank transfer
Then at least PayPal won't be dipping into your account
I've sold all over the world items that way with no problems
If the buyer wants to pay by PayPal be very aware of a chargeback

to say they favour the buyer is an understatement, if it was me, I wouldn't send it anywhere outside of the UK, just to be safe.

For this type of item I would insist that buyer collects in person and pays cash - no exceptions.

Alternatively you might want to try this:-

1) Insist on payment into one of your accounts direct and not via paypal
2) Insist on bought as seen no returns no complaints no comeback
3) Pay first and send second.

A fair chance this would work especially if you used FEDEX/UPS or some such to track and confirm delivery.

Still seems all a bit of a phaff though.

Al

I wouldn't have a problem, but an alternative would be to tell him to find a shipping agent. There are people who will act as on-shippers - you sell to them, they get paid I presume upfront. I sold a Marantz CD10 to a HK buyer through one a couple of years ago- totally hassle free.

I've sold a fair bit of vintage HiFi to Hong Kong, lots of collectors out there, they love their vintage gear.

Hi there,

I would be wary. What can happen ( has happened to me) is that you post the item and keep proof of postage. The buyer then claims he has not received the item. They open a dispute and PayPal immediately remove the money from your account (or give you a negative balance). Even if you provide eBay with proof that you have posted the item, they will side with the buyer. You need to prove that they have signed for the item. Of course, the dodgy buyers will say the delivery requiring a signature is too expensive.

In my case, I sent a painting to Australia (was an Australian artist) costing £1500 and thought the fact I could prove I sent it was enough. What made it worse is that the guy who purchased it was selling the same painting he claimed not to receive a month after eBay sided with him using his own account. When I then contacted eBay to say he clearly had received it, they said sorry, case was closed so tough.

If the buyer is happy to pay something like FedEx signed for express service, then you may be OK. If they start saying don't worry about signed for, I would leave well alone.

I think the problem with any signed for service is that all it proves is that you sent or received is a cardboard box there's no proof as to the content.

Chrispy":1qfv64f2 said:
I think the problem with any signed for service is that all it proves is that you sent or received is a cardboard box there's no proof as to the content.

I agree, however for eBay and PayPal it appears to make all the difference. The parcel has the weight recorded which should match the item sent.

Nick

Logger":1y6xndl7 said:
Chrispy":1y6xndl7 said:

I agree, however for eBay and PayPal it appears to make all the difference. The parcel has the weight recorded which should match the item sent.

Nick
Like the expensive violin that was destroyed at the request of PayPal/eBay?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/04 ... ys_violin/

Logger":f32u1c7u said:
Chrispy":f32u1c7u said:

Nick

Crispy I agree. One thing is, if the courier (like UPS) boxes the item. Its a certainty.

For 100% assurance you need to open the package in front of the delivery driver. Ebay/Paypal only concern themselves it was delivered to your address and accepted. I recall some time back a guy bought an expensive musical instrument and got some bricks...

Latest posts

Back