Sedgwick TS blade hole?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just moved into a brand new school with all new equipment. Had to rub my eyes and pinch myself, as all the machinery is top of the range stuff, which is unusual for new school budget bean counters.

Anyway, had a play with the new Sedgwick TS today and the rip blade it is equipped with needs replacing with a higher tooth count blade for the sheet materials we mostly use. Took out the said blade for inspection and noticed there is a hole, extra to the 2 'lug' holes normally found. Do I just get a 315mm blade and drill a suitable hole, offering up the other as a template or can blades be bought with this hole already done? I guess the plate could be drilled with cobalt drills. I like the price of Wealden blades, so I'd like one from there, if possible. Does anyone buy Sedgwick ready blades from there?

Mike.

Hi Mike. Yes you can order a blade with a hole suitable for the sedgwick ta 315. I purchased one for my saw from atkinson walker. I think they supply sedgwick with blades.
Regards Arfon.

ja2_k":3fwnhkfj said:
Hi Mike. Yes you can order a blade with a hole suitable for the sedgwick ta 315. I purchased one for my saw from atkinson walker. I think they supply sedgwick with blades.
Regards Arfon.

Hello,

Thanks, the supplied blade is an Atkinson Walker, but I was hoping it wasn't the only brand I could use. They are fine blades, but school budgets are marginal and I need to spend no more than I have to. A Wealden blade is half the price and the quality is good. The finance department won't understand why a brand new saw and supplied ripping blade won't acceptably cut plywood!

Mike.

I have two table saws both of which take a blade with a bite of 1" 1/4, one of the saws also has none standard spaced drive lugs. I've found that any decent supplier will modify the blade to my requirements at little to no cost.

Just had a look at the Wealden prices and for something like a triple chip blade they didn't seem to me to be out of line with general pricing. For example, Scott Seargent have on their WEB site deals on CMT and Omas blades at the moment.

For me there are three main drivers when selecting a blade, and none of them are unit cost. The first is how flat and true the blade is, a lot of cheap blades I've found have a 'wobble' due to the plate not being flat. This IMO increases the kerf wasting more material, produces a poor cut surface and probably more importantly increases the noise the blade generates.

The second is the noise damping built into the blade, the finance team will appreciate that it's a legal requirement to reduce the noise generated as much as possible.

The third is the quality of the carbide and how quickly the blade dulls / needs resharpening / replacing.

Hello,

I agree with what you say , Deema, and if it were my brand new Sedgwick saw I'd likely get an Atkinson Walker blade for myself. But at £110 for a 72 tooth crosscut, when a Wealden is £65, it is a bit hard to justify to the school finance dept. TBH it is a cap in hand job for asking for any budget at all. You might be surprised to learn the entire budget for running this D and T department in school is......£502.

Unbelievable, I think you'll agree, so the difference in price of a saw blade is a deal breaker.

I'll see if Wealden will make the modification for me.

Mike.

We buy from Leuco -industrial quality blades at decent prices.

http://www.leucogb.co.uk/home/4557235629

Do you need a blade with so many teeth? -I find sharpness and anti noise cuts make for the best finish more than high tooth count. We generally use a 350mm dia blade with 60T for board cutting.

RobinBHM":k78ez4if said:
We buy from Leuco -industrial quality blades at decent prices.

http://www.leucogb.co.uk/home/4557235629

Do you need a blade with so many teeth? -I find sharpness and anti noise cuts make for the best finish more than high tooth count. We generally use a 350mm dia blade with 60T for board cutting.

Hello,

You might be right, re. tooth count, I just figured the 60 tooth 250mm blade I use myself gives good results, so 72 on a 315mm blade would give a similar results. Dropping to 60 might do just as well. Thanks for the link.

Mike.

Back