sedgwick planer rollers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
My sedgwick planer machine is immaculate with clean beds and been waxed,Rollers have been cleaned fully and adjusted with new blades fitted,Simple thing is when you feed the timber in to the thicknesser the timber just does not bite on to the roller,The roller bites onto the timber and just marks it without pulling it through.Must be the rollers surly,Any ideas guys please ?? thanks les

topchippyles":9c8hnxpf said:
Must be the rollers surly,Any ideas guys please ??

Not to sound daft but have you tried a different piece of wood?

The amount of work a machine would have to do to actually wear out a metal serrated roller would be extreme, I know the machine is a fairly early model but I have my doubts about them being totally worn out to the point where they don't grip at all, you would notice it slipping months before it actually lost grip entirely.

Have you stuck your head inside the machine (Isolated of course) and had a good look at the roller? Just to make sure it's not worn?

Yes i have stripped the machine,The rollers have not been gripping for quite a while now,Used softwoods and hardwoods without any joy,Its the front fluted feed roller which seems to be the issue.

topchippyles":s6vctua9 said:
Yes i have stripped the machine,The rollers have not been gripping for quite a while now,Used softwoods and hardwoods without any joy,Its the rear fluted feed roller which seems to be the issue.

Didn't know the older machines had 2 fluted feed rollers. They usually have 1 fluted at the front and a smooth at the rear. Have you tried taking the rollers out (Or leave them in the machine) and file/stone the teeth of the rollers to give them some new edges to grip with?

No it only has the one fluted roller at the front of the machine,Not tried filing the roller as yet but would that make any difference.

Could it be the springs that have lost their tension ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The springs on mine had lost a lot tension. To the point where sedgwicks setting instructions didn't work!. They are available though so change them anyway! The tension is less on the driven side because the motor adds tension btw

topchippyles":3cz42t5p said:
Just managed to get a manual so will look at the springs next thanks coley
No problemo ;) That's what happened on my rojek planer after roughly 8 years of use.

Also check that the gap between the springs and the tension bolts is not packed with chippings, it took thirty years of use for my MB machine to fill up and cause problems. The answer was to remove the two nuts beneath the springs and drop out the chippings.

Mike Jordan":j1jzl2jf said:
Also check that the gap between the springs and the tension bolts is not packed with chippings, it took thirty years of use for my MB machine to fill up and cause problems. The answer was to remove the two nuts beneath the springs and drop out the chippings.
Yep. Can be difficult to spot.
If you change the springs as mentioned earlier, you would clear out the chippings but the new springs would get the credit for the improved performance.

Another remote possibility is that the blades aren't sufficiently extended in the cutter block but this would show on planing over the top unless the two tables are also out. Has the whole set up been overhauled but put back together badly?

This is an interesting question.

My prior experience with planers has been two Scheppach/Ixes models that have rubber coated feed rollers - these work tremendously well in that they grip the workpiece effectively and leave no indentations in the finished surface, regardless of how fine a cut is taken. I believe that the Schepoach rollers are patented, but even so I am surprised other manufacturers do not offer them.

More recently, I have bought an Inca planer thicknesser that I use on my never-ending away project. I rebuilt the machine top to bottom and it is very nice to use.

However, it has a serrated infeed roller that does not grip as well as the rubber Scheppach ones. The springs in my case are well tensioned. The points of the teeth on the roller do appear to have been worn slightly and no doubt a new (££££) roller would help.

I have wondered whether it would be possible to engineer an adaptation to a set of Schepoach rollers to fit to the Inca. I have not yet compared the drive sprockets and bushings etc, but I think it would improve the Inca machine.

Might be worth thinking about for other planers.

Cheers

Here's a picture of how I added some extra tension.
fc92abc055a7d78c693eaed444673eac.jpg

The springs that helped take the weight of lowering the surfacing tables broke and it took over 3 months from rojek just to send the wrong part numbers (nothing sent, couldn't even tell me what part numbers I needed !)Rather than try and source original springs that tension the rollers I fitted a couple extra ones that I had kicking around and had them pushing down from the top (the original ones are fixed to the rollers from underneath) The threaded bar stops them from popping out and the lock nuts allowed me to increase/decrease the tension.
19000c10a0a2ddf72b02f643c071ef9f.jpg

I've got several spare which should keep me going for the forseeable future ;)

Stripped the beds off today and adjusted all the springs ect,The manual says the left side springs should be 65 mm depth due to the drive chain and the right side springs should be set to 55 mm,After checking they were 10 mm higher than the spec. I adjusted both springs up another 5 mm to add more tension to the rollers and re set bearing blocks and feed rollers to correct settings,Then tested thicknesser and running far better with a few adjustments but still not working as it should so going to order new springs from sedgwick,Only question is on the feed rollers now,they are as in post #1238508 above by coley so i am wondering if that s how they are or should they have more grip.

Is there any difference if you plane off 1mm or say 5mm at a time? Is planing off more better at gripping/pulling the timber through ?

Seems to make no difference really,I adjusted the rollers a couple of times in hight until they run the timber without jambing up ,seems to run nice though the thicknesser apart from the rollers griping as they should,100 % set them correctly apart from the springs which have been stressed due to the age of the machine.My springs are under the roller not above like yours coley.

Back