Security issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Im still in the process of lining my workshop walls and ceiling but came home today to find my workshop door open.

Luckily ive not been storing anything in there other than the sheets of mdt and loft insulation so nothing appears to be missing but I need to start seriously thinking of security.

Do you guys recommend certain door bolts? I have double doors so the non main door I want to have push bolts at the top and bottom and the main door currently has a slide bolt which you lock in place with a padlock but do you guys have any other suggestions for ironmongery?

I plan to put an alarm of some sort on the shed and all hinges and bolts etc will have some screws changed for coach bolts.

Id rather see what you guys recommend than just search for 'Heavy Duty'

thanks

Colin

It is a worry, isn't it? And discovering that someone has helped themselves to 12K of your kit is not a good experience, I can tell you.

You will never be able to stop someone who is determined, unfortunately. But you can slow them down and persuade them to move along to easier pickings.

Use good security hinges with a peg.
Use one or more 5-lever mortice locks.
Bolt and bar any doors that are not the main entry and exit.
Fit an alarm that also sounds in the house.
Fit an alarm that sends a call or text to your mobile phone, and set your phone to allow that call even if it is Do Not Disturb mode.

Good luck, and if you find the bar stewards, give them a kick from me.

I've done all that and I still worry that it's not enough.

Thanks that helps.

Never thought of a bar for the non main door, is there a proper name for that so I can search for the kit. I will have to check the hinges, dont know whats fitted so that needs to be looked at/

thanks again

Colin

After some serious beef (not of the cow variety) on my step dad's farm I got him a few of these. They're pretty heavy duty and VERY loud. Could be useful?

I have a single garage with an up and over. I soon realised that the standard lock mechanism on these could be unlocked with a coat hanger in about 10 seconds. I did a bit of research and settled on these: Enfield Garage Door Bolts https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JP7H9XU/ ... xybEED1VVC

I really like them. Easy to fit, solid bolts and someone would have to make an almighty racket in order to cut through them. I'd recommend them if they're suitable :)

Police did a look round our garden after someone tried to break in to the garage.

Shutters for the all the windows recommended - don't let anyone see inside. I guess that goes for silly things like keyholes too.

We also have some battery powered floodlights at the end of the garden (I still run an extension lead when I'm in the shed) Anyone moves at the end of the garden and 2 out of three light up. Straight away. They're cheap and easy to install - I know they won't stop anyone but it's obvious if anyone is around down there (When we are at home)

Also worth bolting any hinges and bolts/hasps through the door and then through a metal plate before attaching a nut on the back

Thanks guys. like the look of enfield bolts but if they require key to lock / unlock then thats abit much as dont want to have loads of keys just to get in but if they are slide type then they certainly look strong enough although I still like the idea of a big chunk of wood to put across the other door.

I will eventually have mains down there and will fit lighting but this happened during the day so would have made no difference on this occasion. Ive also got mirror film for the windows so people cant really see in.

thanks

Colin

Hi

I have a 25'x10'6" sectional garage, The small side door was broken in to years ago (Very basic door lock was picked) and load of stuff stolen, I got the idea of hanging a set of car ramps from the roof joist just inside the door for them to walk in to the next time they came for round two, Trouble was that they never returned and I eneded up looking like the Elephant man as I kept forgetting and walking straight in to them!! (hammer) :oops: :cry:

I stopped hanging them before I ended up brain dead!! :D I then made two holes either side of the door and fitted two shackles with a large chain anchored at one side and a hefty padlock at the other, Don't think they will get in without making a lot of noise now!!

I also made a large Hasp and staple out of 2"x1/4" steel strip to fit but the chain was easier!!

John :)

I have the enfield locks. yes they need a key, but its a very special one that isnt going to be picked very easy.
you could also use a ground anchor for the opening door.
true that they could cut round the locks with a disc cutter, but thats time and noise that most thieves dont want to spend.

Make sure you have the kit itemised and insured. I even have every serial number recorded in case I ever have to prove a claim.

Thanks guys. If these muppets are cutting through my locks then I would like to think that either I would hear it or my neighbours would. My idea is like you say, to slow them down so either they raise suspicion or get bored trying.

thanks

Colin

I am a great believer in CCTV over IP placed very prominently. This means that any thief runs teh significant risk of identification on a system that they cannot erase even if they destroy the camera (as the image will be uploaded to the cloud). These systems are now cheap and easy to install (but you must have mains power). Also an alarm as described above that is from a reputable company. Alarms that operate from remote fobs are more likely to be used in my experience.

Itemise all of your tools, and take photographs. Insure them. We itemise everything we have that has any value and provide teh inventory and photos to our insurance broker, updated each year. This helps hugely if you have a claim as the insurer will not be arguing the toss about whether you really had those items or not as there was specific prior disclosure.

The one snag with very visible security deterrents is that they can signal that there is something worth pinching.

Thats my fear of going overboard with security as it gives the impression I have the crown jewels in there but any decent size shed it would be a fair assumption its either got a few quids worth of bikes etc or cases of drills and other power tools.

I am thinking of ip cameras as I like the idea of checking footage on my phone and ideally saving my footage to my 8tb Nas setup. Do you have any recommendations? Im also thinking maybe an alarm with the sensors in the shed but keypad and control box and siren installed in the house. I dont fancy a wireless system as heard a few stories about the batteries dying and causing issues.

thanks again

Colin

I have used Y Cam cameras or occasionally the clones of them. They work perfectly.
I have no problem with wireless alarms but ours is maintained by an installer and linked to a monitoring station as well as our mobiles. The battery status is shown on the system and it is maintained twice a year in our case. However, this covers the house (two buildings) two garages, a workshop and store.

Overkill for many, but our house also came equipped with a mains siren as well as the alarm bells. This is unbelievably loud (think air raid warning). If it went off in your workshop it would give most burglars heart failure ;-)

I would also recommend enlisting your neighbours, if you have any, to keep an eye out.

My neighbough has a burglar alarm
The rest of us ignore it when it goes off (frequently)

another neighbough did threaten to give him a good hiding if it woke him up again :lol:

ok I have purchased a wired pir alarm system with door magnets which again I will plan to install everything in the main house so that if the alarm sounds it doesnt wake up the neighbours as thats my biggest concern with alarms. I may change the alarm siren to a smaller one so that its loud enough to alert us inside but not so audible outside. Ive also just got some brenton bolts from toolstation to more secure the unused door for now and will look further after Christmas. As I said at the moment its not a real issue as nothing is stored in there but I want to make sure its secure ready for when the table saw, routers etc all get put in.

If only we were allowed in the uk to booby trap our workshops.......;-)

a picture of a rottweiler on the front door helps as well.

I like the american warning signs, like;
"tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted"
and
"The owner is armed, there is nothing in this property worth your life".

I have one on my wall showing a front view of a revolver pointing at you and the logo "never mind the dog, beware of owner"

I hung up a load of old rusty Mackerel feathers (kind of like a spiders web) in my bottom shed many years ago after we were plagued by shed thefts.

Won't tell you what happened.

The irony is, I left a knackered hover mower out on clear view in front of my house in the hope it would get nicked...
After a month I took it to the skip, no stinky takers! Perhaps I should have left it in the shed?

Burglar alarms are a complete waste of money! No-one takes any notice of them.

So, get those old fishing hooks out and hang them in the shed.
Serves the sprouts right if they get caught up in them.

Some good ideas, love the rusty hooks although it would end up me forgetting and ending up caught up in them and besides am I right in thinking we are not allowed in the uk to set what could be thought of as traps?

The alarm will only have a siren in the house for if anyone attempts to get in during the night when we are at home. I will also invest in ip cameras aswell as good locks. Tomorrow I will fit the other brenton bolt to strengthen the other door and then I will see how I can wire up this alarm.

thanks

Colin

Back