Conservatory lock / hinges lubrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We have a conservatory door-- the typical type of door which you push the handle up and down to open and close the bolts. I want to lubricate the sticking keyhole ('Yale ' key type) & hinges. What spray have you used to lubricate? Various spays out there--some better than others?

As HOJ says above. On the locks never use WD40 or a silicon spray. These are wet lubricants that will eventually attract dust, fluff from your trouser pocket and dirt.. These can jam the key hole/barrel up and this in fact is what happened to barrel on the steering column of a car of mine some years ago.
On the hinges you can use any thin oil so a WD40 spay would be fine.

Colin

As said Graphite powder for locks, it can be messy stuff but you don't need much. Sometimes it's easiest to just put a bit on the key then pop it in the lock and turn it a few times.

My friend told me about some special lubricant that the plastic window company he'd used sold him for keeping the locks on his windows and doors working properly, he said it was expensive but it was what they recommended so he bought it from them. Turned out he'd paid them £25 for 50g of graphite powder, the exact same stuff is available for about £5 from all the usual retailers.....some firms don't miss a trick!

Hi, as a locksmith, do not use graphite powder in locks. Historically it was great but the way modern locks are made you are asking for trouble, a dry ptfe lubricant works on all modern cylinders, Halfords sell it in bottle and spray form in the bike section for chains and you can also use it on your hinges.

I read that locksmiths use: 'Aspecs Dry Lube'. I searched the web for a retailer--nothing. Anybody know where to obtain? Have you used any other spray can of dry lube with PTFE on your door locks with success?

Last edited:
I read that locksmiths use: 'Aspecs Dry Lube'. I searched the web for a retailer--nothing. Anybody know where a bottle can be obtained? Or use any spray can of dry lube?
Apecs is a lock manufacturer and the spray is avalible from locksmiths, if you check halfords they have a large can of dry ptfe spray in the bike section, works just the same and a fraction of the price.

The Graphite only gets the top of where the pins contact the key and not into the mechanism, you get lucky sometimes.
The graphite powder I inherited off my father is in a squizzy puffer bottle. I'm guessing this manages to blow the powder into the mechanism, or am I fooling myself?

Colin

Graphite powder has always worked well for me. I tend to spray throught he "key hole" but also rub it into the key itself and that works

Back