Second (less poor) attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samharber

Established Member
Reaction score
Right... second bowl. Made from the same lump of wood as the first, but a very different shape (which I'm quite happy with).

Exterior finish isn't too bad (sanded with 80 grit and 340 grit paper - which is all I have to hand), but the interior finish is awful.

Sadly part of the rim decided to disintegrate.

Finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil, which is a bit too yellow. Any suggestions for a lighter finish?

bowl2a.JPG

bowl2b.JPG

What fascinating spalting! The few spalted bits I've done so far tended to smudge the black zone lines, so I think you've done well.

I'm still experimenting with finishes but have found sanding sealer followed by Wood Wax 22 brings out the colours quite well.

Suggest you now turn your hand to something not spalted. It's very likely to be easier to work with than this lovely lump from the park.

Al

I prefer the shape of the first one personally, not a big fan of straight sided bowls thug I admit I made a few when I started. They are also more difficult to make. If you like it then that's fine as you need to make things that you like and not always be governed by other peoples taste. Finish on spalted woods can be difficult. Try soaking in sealer, leaving to dry then going back to it. Easiest is to get as good a finish as possible with the tool and that's just a matter of practice. Cut this type of wood, don't scrape.

Keep 'em coming as we love to see the progression as you pick up the tricks and skills

Pete

Looks like the spalting may have gone to far and the wood has become unstable

good try though

Ps if you still have the missing section you can CA it back in

@Blister - Sadly the piece is missing, possibly sucked up by the dust extractor as I couldn't find it anywhere.

@Bodrighy - It's not quite straight sided, the sides slope inwards about 5 degrees, but it doesn't really show in the picture. It looks much better in the flesh. Will try the sealer with the spalted wood. Certainly can't hurt.

@Unicyclebloke - I've currently got a choice of well seasoned but very badly split cherry logs, the spalted logs and some green branches. I think I may be ordering some blanks in the post.

Thanks.

Talk about choosing a difficult bit of wood for your second bowl!!

The bowl contains the pith and this will always give you problems because it invariably is or will split from there.

If you have soft spalting and problems with getting good cuts wet the wood with whatever finish you're going to use and finely cut again. You may be amazed at the difference.

Nice spalted wood always changes a bit more 'muddy' when a finish is applied. But a coloured finish like a yellow linseed wont help as you found out. Generally oil isnt the best finish for spalted wood. Go for sanding sealer and wax or perhaps a quick spray of acrylic artists fixative. That will leave a more 'natural' look.

Try your green wood thats fun to turn.

samharber":17zkrvh0 said:
I think I may be ordering some blanks in the post.

Are there any clubs near you? There seems to be someone selling blanks at every other event I go to, and it's mostly pretty cheap, though not necessarily with great figuring. I cycled home last night laden to the gunwales for about a tenner. :)

I agree about turning green. Worth a try, and an interesting experience, though my effort with freshly felled walnut split badly where it was left thick.

Al

Latest posts

Back