seanybaby Coffee Table[Beginner] Final Submission [Complete]

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Cheers for the comments guys. It is a tad heavy now its altogether :roll:

So this week i've been finishing off really.

Had to chop the excess of my tenons off, placing a thin piece of ply helped to not mar the work. Also my jap. sawwas superb as i was able to bend the blade while sawing.
dsc03189.jpg

Block plane to clean them up.
dsc03201.jpg

Then down to some sanding. Going through the grits to 320.
dsc03208.jpg

dsc03210.jpg

dsc03212.jpg

Then end grain cleaned up really well. And most of my joins were pretty tight and acurate :)
dsc03214.jpg

dsc03215.jpg

So thing is to oil it. I have already put 2 coats of danish. I have enough oil to do one more and that's enough i think.

It weighs 13.8 stone :shock: :wink: I think.

Looked at a few websites to see how much timbers weigh. I found that Ash was 43lb cube ft and Iroko was 40lbs. So worked it out using google.

that really looks awesome sean, im looking forward to seeing it finished i left half way through you making it.

will you do me a favour and tell Paul i said Wassaaa

Cheers guys.

Andy - Just the front step :p

Escudo - I wanted to make it chunky and at the beginning was considering making it look chunky, but maybe hollow inside. I decided against it because i could have made that at home. With the industrial machines and tutors to help move my timber I decided solid would be better.

Tim - Already stubbed my toe :oops:

Jez - Will do. What you up to now?

So overall I'm very happy with what i have produced, although there were quite a few times I regretted making it 80mm thick. One of the hardest parts was working out how to cut up my 3m x 0.6m tree :shock: Although the Wadkin dim saw, went through it like butter with a new blade. Cutting the dovetails and tenons was relatively easy with my Japanese saw, then using a forstner bit to remove the waste. Glue up went really well, although I was extremely nervous :shock:

I finished it with several coats of danish oil. My parents are very happy with it, but my dad keeps telling me not to put the remote on it because it will scratch. I keep telling him the table is to be used. :lol: Well here are the pics.

dsc03270-0.jpg

dsc03270-4.jpg

dsc03270-2.jpg

dsc03270-1.jpg

dsc03270-3.jpg

dsc03270-5.jpg

Cheers for comments guys. To get it home i had to put in upside down in mums Daewoo Matiz with the boot open. I was scared of the rope coming loose off the windscreen wiper and it sliding out :lol:

Latest posts

Back