Sealey GDM140FX Pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Anyone know any horror stories? I won an auction on e-bay for one, just wanted to know what to expect.

Mike

I had a similar one - think it was a clarke but it looked basically the same. Lots of runout on the chuck, return spring was rubbish - then took a huge chunk out of my finger when I was trying to sort it (if yours has the same snail spring arrangement to return the quill, treat it like an unexploded bomb!) I ended up using the motor to convert a startrite to 240v and using the rack and pinion and table on the startrite too. The rest got tipped!

Well I picked it up today, the quill seems to be fine to me, run out very small only just perceptible on full extension, return on the quill also seems to be well controlled, perhaps the Sealey is a different animal.

Mike

Nick

Thanks for that, but its seems my press is near as perfect as you can get, a good buy to say the least.

Mike

I wanted to change the chuck to a keyless type, the Sealey blurb on the press says "Keyless Chuck GDMX/KC" , this has a JT3 taper, the original chuck has a B16 taper so the replacement will not fit on the Arbor, so if you want to do this you need an MT2 : JT3 tang Arbor. Still waiting for Sealey to come back to me with the above information, which obviously I found for myself.

Mike

Well three days later and Sealey have not come back to me, surprise, surprise, the MT2 x JT3 tang Arobor has arrived and is a perfect fit, fired up the drill in anger to drill some 100mm aluminium to make my new crown guard for the table saw, seemed very accurate and drilled straight through without any problems.

Mike

Latest posts

Back