SDS Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
I'v had a Makita SDS for some years with no problems. Most of my use has been for drilling using the Hammer function with occasional chiesel work. The machine is not to hand for me to give the model but at the time it cost £119 which included VAT. Vibration is not a issue for me but i'm sure i would have noticed if it was excessive.

Thanks for the reply Alder, I looked at the Makita range and the latest models don't get very good reviews, mostly about vibration which I am sensitive too, perhaps your older model is more efficient where that is concerned?

I've got the bosch GBH 2000 as it was the cheapest decent brand one screwfix had. Its performed great on everything I've thrown at it - drilling, core drilling and chiselling.

I think (as usual) we'll end up going round in circles. :D I had a Bosch GBH that burned out with very little use in two years. I have an older incarnation of the DeWalt that's been faultless. I think the quick chuck would sway me towards that one.

Thanks for your insights guys, I'v just found the Dewalt for £122.00 delivered so I am going with that one, thanks again.

Mike

I've had a Makita for years and it's taken a lot of punishment, including driving big diamond hole saws. It's been OK.

The two you linked to look just as good, more so if the Makita quality has dropped off recently.

I, too, have quite bad arthritis. All I can recommend is thick leather gloves - they really do help.

Let us know which one you get and how you like it... or otherwise!

Currently coping with arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. An SDS chisel is about the worst thing for it!
So get a heavy one - more impact goes to the chisel rather than back to your hands, and wear padded rigger gloves.
My Bosch GBH has been going for years and done masses of work

The whole purpose of this is to get a lighter SDS drill than the 6kg one I have at the moment, although it is a very good drill, using it causes too much pain, I tried a friends smaller lighter unit and it was better for me.

The type of tools you are looking at may be a bit light for what you need. They are predominantly drills with a a light breaker function that is really only for very occasional use. If I were you I'd go and hire a light breaker probably a Hilti. I own and run a civil engineering company with a concrete cutting division and while I own quite a few of the type of drills your looking at, they are only used as drills never breakers.

I'd agree about Hilti, having bought an old one on Ebay. Doesn't hammer but it does drill 6" holes through concrete and limestone. :roll: Big heavy pipper though.
But have removed a lot of render with a Bosch GBH quite satisfactorily. I guess it depends on the render - mine was mostly internal lime plaster with just a few hard areas of cement based mixes.

Its all a lime motor that is mostly falling off already, as I said I have a heavy breaker as well, if this doesn't work then I have an extra drill to play with.

MikeJhn":vc15m4v0 said:
Thanks for your insights guys, I'v just found the Dewalt for £122.00 delivered so I am going with that one, thanks again.

Mike

Just spent a week taking off plaster and also chipping away brick. Used a Dewalt 334 combination drill (drill/hammer drill/hammer only) with the 54v flexvolt batteries. Fantastic bit of kit, light weight - but has effective vibration reducing protection. Goes around 4 hours on one charge, so 2 batteries will do a full day. Had no problems with vibration even though I tend to suffer joint issues.

I would not have been able to do this job with the heavy (but cheaper) tools. My shoulders would not have lasted lugging substantially heavier stuff all day. Had no problems at all with the Dewalt.

Designed as a relatively lightweight tool not really for demolition, Although I took part of a wall down with this too. Good for flatting off brick edges, removing mortar etc. Will also do those large drilling jobs, core drilling etc. Has sds and standard chuck interchangeability.

Thought very hard about buying this as not cheap, now would not be without it!

I would not recommend using it for core drilling unless it has a clutch, when a core gets stuck and they do it can break your wrist unless it has a clutch.

MikeJhn":1f1m4rgp said:
I would not recommend using it for core drilling unless it has a clutch, when a core gets stuck and they do it can break your wrist unless it has a clutch.
I discovered that my Bosch GBH had a clutch when I was using a core drill. At first I thought from the noise that the gear box had self destructed, but no it's been fine!
I bought a 2nd hand Hilti instead and that has a simple clutch too - and makes a similar noise. The Hilti is much more powerful and faster.

Latest posts

Back