Scroll saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first visit to the scroll saw forum. I have been turning for many years but I have only just bought a Jet JSS-16 Bench Top Variable Speed Scroll Saw.
I know that I will be breaking blades at the start but I am confused as which to stock up on. I have patterns that say use a #7 or #5 blade etc. However when I look on the internet or even the spare pack that came with the saw the # scale does not appear to be used. Can somebody enlighten me so that I don't waste my money.

Thanks, Maurice

Blades are normally sold by a number such as Grade 7, Number 7 or just 7, common blade sizes are 9, 7, 5, 3, 1, 0, and 00. 9 being the heaviest and 00 very fine. blades are available from as high a number as 11 (10teeth per inch) right down to 00 (which are 27tpi).

I normally use the reverse tooth blades as they help prevent cut out and splintering at the bottom of the work. For starting I would suggest using numbers 2 or 3, 5, 7 and 9. below size 1 the blades are very delicate and are easily broken leading to frustration.

Always hoobies sell a good range of Niqua blades which I have been using for many years.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/tools/hand ... ccessories

I would personally ignore any blade sizes given on patterns and use what I felt was best for the job, for general fret-sawing a no5 or 7 will suffice and most other delicate work can easily be done with a no 2 or 3, you only need really fine blades for very intricate internal work.

Hi Maurice welcome to the place :roll: that you will get good advice on this fabulous hobby that we all enjoy.I can only agree with the advice that John has given.I use a no3 reverse mostly for internal cutting.Welcome aboard :roll:

Take care

Bryan

Hello Maurice and welcome along to the scrolling forum.

That's some good information by scrimper which you should find useful. The only other thing I could add would be that the '#' you refer to is the American's way of saying 'Number' (or No). For instance we say 'No5' they would say '#5' so it sounds like you have an American pattern.

I agree with scrimper in that the recommendation size to use is just that, a recommendation. After a while you get to know what size will cut what type of wood but it's a good starting point. If you find it's not cutting very well try the next size up.

Barry

Thanks folks, everything I needed to know in one go. I have just completed my first pattern, a little dog in 3/4 pine. I am quite happy with the result and no broken blade. How the blade didn't break I don't know when you see how twisted it became on the turns. I hope I am not doing anything wrong.

Maurice

You may need some more tension in the blade Maurice. When you connect it up and tension it you should be able to pluck the blade and get a nice 'ping' out of it.

thanks Maurice for asking these questions.
thanks to everybody else for the replies.
i too enjoy turning and only ever ventured over here to admire your excellent work that you share with us all.
however having just acquired an ex school scroll saw i too needed to find out about blades and which ones to buy.
hopefully i will be able to have a play over the bank holiday weekend and see for myself the enjoyment of scroll sawing.
cheers paul-c

Back