• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Scroll blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I use my scroll saw to cut thin brass, ally, copper ect. and if so what type blade should I use?

John

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. You need very fine blades (3 teeth always in contact, so if the brass is thin you'll need VERY fine blades). Amongst other manufacturers, Pegas make a very good blades range for metal cutting (Axminster Tools are the UK dealer). I'll post this now and then pop back shortly to find my earlier post a link where I already linked to a set of tables showing all Pegas blades.

AES

loftyhermes

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much metal you're going to cut. I've cut thin Brass sheet with ordinary non reverse wood blades because I had loads of them and didn't have a lot of Brass to cut. The wood blades did wear out quicker though.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah, interesting loftyhermes, thanks.

I can imagine that wood cutting blades would wear out quickly on brass (even "half-hard" brass). But very fine wood cutting blades may be a good tip for cutting thin ali (which because of it's low melting point is always a problem with whatever tools you cut it with - except perhaps snips, which can easily distort the sheet) and perhaps good for copper too. Dunno, as I've never tried myself, and always used metal-cutting blades, which unless you buy "millions", are cheap enough IMO.