Screws or bolts for small climbing frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a load of 50mmx50mm treated timber and I'd like to turn it into a little raised 'house' with some steps for my 4 and 7 year old. Something the rectangular part of the image below, but smaller with dimensions about h=1600mm w=800mm d=800mm. Minus the cross beam and swings / slide.

My question is = when attaching the frame together, do I need to use coach bolts for stability? All the shop bought ones seem to have coach bolts, but they also have larger timber - 4 by 2s, for example. I'm sure 50mmx50mm timber will take their weight no problem, but a large coach bolt through the middle of seems like it would mean drilling a hole almost half the width of the timber to take the nut..

Would it be dangerous to just use a couple of decent length screws on each lap joint and drive them in nice and tight? Or are coach bolts the only option for structures like this?

Thanks for any advice..

Wooden-Play-Center-Cabanna-Blue-Rabbit-Garden.jpg

Attachments

• Wooden-Play-Center-Cabanna-Blue-Rabbit-Garden.jpg
    Wooden-Play-Center-Cabanna-Blue-Rabbit-Garden.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 519
I reckon that knowing how boisterous kids can be and with safety in mind I would use coach bolts (stainless or plated) with large washers and maybe even nyloc nuts.

And knowing that all you do is turn around and the next thing you know your kids are two years older I would be building it strong enough for at least a 10 year old.

Terry.

As Wizzard999 said build it stronger, I'd use treated 100mm X 100mm for the four corner posts with 100mm X 50mm as rails around the perimeter at the base and at the floor height. You could use 8mm coach screws with washers to attach the rails to posts. Then use all your 50mm by 50mm for the sides and roof, ladder etc
Personally I wouldn't use the 50mm by 50mm for any of the structural stuff it's just not robust enough even for small children

I think that the use of coach bolts is a good idea, an alternative would be timber lock screws these are classed as an alternative to coach bolts in timber structure erection. They come in different lengths and with the use of an impact driver are very quick to use.
They have a hex head and usually the bit comes in the box ready for you to use.
Hope this helps.

Many thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm best dropping the idea if 50x50 isn't going to be strong enough. I will have to think of another use for it.... off to get my thinking cap on!

drillbit":1zxos8l6 said:
Many thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm best dropping the idea if 50x50 isn't going to be strong enough. I will have to think of another use for it.... off to get my thinking cap on!

Might be a bit heavy for a thinking cap.

Back