Screwfix!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought i'd mention this in case some others haven't realised yet.

On some orders Screwfix offer 'FREE' delivery, yet when you check the cart, they still charge a 'Packing & Handling' charge - not so free really then is it screwfix?

Also, I've been tempted to buy certain items from them only to find out they want you to order them in a minimum pack size which quite often seems far too high to warrent buying the item.

Is there a well-stocked alternative online to screwfix?

only free if its over £45. I use hafele(over £100 ex vat free delivery) mainly, but I think screwfix are a good company.

i think since B&Q took over screwfix, they have not really stayed as they were, and the increase in their so called trade shops has also made it difficult.

they never did free below a certain amount anyway, but that's being picky.
the more important thing is some of their stuff is not worth the money, and also is not necessarily as cheap as they would have you believe.

anyone tried tool station, think they or a name like it were opened by one of the screwfix family after the special clauses went.

paul :wink:

I find Toolstation very good and cheaper but a much reduced selection when compared to Screwfix.
It is indeed run by the same chap who started Screwfix before selling out to Buy-it-and Queue

Both have excellent, easy to use web ordering and invariably next day delivery unless you have an out of the way location.I think another poster here or on UK.d-i-y was charged extra carriage for a remote address but that is possible the carrier imposing the extra not the vendor.

I still use both and normally get free postage by combining orders with people at work.

Bob

I often use Screwfix,and have used Toolstation from time to time - only had good service of both.
As previously stated,Toolstation is often better on price,but nothing like the selection.And delivery is free over £40.

Andrew

The order I wanted to place with screwfix was for a few sanding discs - couldn't cost no more than a few 1st class stamps, so I feel quite agrieved that they list it as free delivery, but then want £5.95 packing and handling!!

They would take up 1 Jiffy bag, and take all of about 5 seconds to pick and pack, it may be a measly point, but I hate being ripped of like that.

I'll have to check out Toolstation.

I think you'll find most places will do the same unfortunately. Just one or two items are never economic to buy by mail order. :(

Toolstation's range now is very like how Screwfix used to be when I started using them, with a similar reliability. It even has the same thin paper in the catalogue. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

To be fair to Screwfix, it would not matter if you were ordering an item that was very heavy or multiple items, they would charge you the one price if under £45. I've just ordered some wax from APTC and I would not pay the £3.95 delivery, so I spent another £38 just to get free delivery.

Phil

The above mentioned has just arrived, ordered yesterday at 15.30. Well done to APTC, and not forgetting ANC.

Phil

PS. I could have amended my other post but I wanted to my 100th post :D

filsgreen":gei0zm5o said:
I would not pay the £3.95 delivery, so I spent another £38 just to get free delivery.

Phil

Marketing in action :lol:
(Must admit,I do the same :oops: )

Andrew

that only goes to show that the slope is even more slippery for those things you never need, but would like to try because it is only a couple of quid. :twisted:

in many ways it is like those who ring about 5 or 6 dealers to save a fiver on the price of a 500 quid piece of machinery, forgetting the cost of phone calls in time as well as money. then, when the machine goes wrong, find the really cheap dealer has no customer service, then the manufacturer
gets hammering. when it is really the dealers fault because he cannot
offer any service on his profit margin. (sorry rant over :twisted: )

paul :wink:

I'm lucky, Screwfix have recently opened a store near me.

go in browse the catalogue, fill in the item slip, take it to the cashier, pay for the items, then stand back untill your number comes up on the screen and pick up the goods, job done.

It works like the Argos stores

we have the same, but free drinks and a nice girl on the tills :wink:

makes purchasing alot easier as it's on the way home too

ByronBlack":3crmp8oz said:
The order I wanted to place with screwfix was for a few sanding discs - couldn't cost no more than a few 1st class stamps, so I feel quite agrieved that they list it as free delivery, but then want £5.95 packing and handling!!

Try: http://www.abrasivesplus.com

Free delivery and sanding discs are their speciality - mostly Hermes stuff too.

Cheers

Gidon

ByronBlack":3dumheup said:

You might want to ask them if they could do just that! I reacently got some plastic caps for some clapms from Lawson HIS, and they too have a stupidly high delivery charge unless you spend over something or other. So I phoned them and asked if they could be popped in a jiffy with a first class stamp on it instead, and they said yes, no problem, that'll be £1 delivery! Result! :D

Back