Screw Removers, any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will if they can re-use some of the decking, even if its only for a skirting around the edge.

Mike

I was being gentle at first as I was just peeking about and the whole lot felt pretty solid, with only one small area of noticeable rot on the end of one board. I was thinking of the option of getting the boards up with the chance of re-use elsewhere and using the existing support structure. With further investigation I think the rot's started all over the decking and about to get pretty noticable. Current recommendation is to rip it all up, burn and start afresh. It's been down less than ten years. Having looked around the internet I'd have to concur that softwood decking has about 10 years life expectancy, which may surprise a number of owners.

RossJarvis":102m70mh said:
Having looked around the internet I'd have to concur that softwood decking has about 10 years life expectancy, which may surprise a number of owners.

Hmm. Given the history of Ground Force, that may mean that a LOT of decking is coming to EOL.

BugBear

I have to say that based on my experience of these screw removers (trend snappy and some other generic type) they are fairly useless. When I have a screw that wont come out I'm not even tempted to reach for them. If at all possible I'll file a slot for a flat head screwdriver and go down that route. If that won't work more invasive tactics are required.

I have used the grabit type remover - worked well for me - on a small screw with a mashed PZ head - there are limitations - its not going to get something out that is stuck so tight that nothing will work.
It would be too slow for decking - the other methods noted above would be better - I had to replace 9 year old decking recently - the green wickes screws
all came out - about 200 of them - was very impressed! I put them in - so the heads were not mashed.

Back