SCMS Suggestions??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am currently looking for a decent SCMS for a house renovation project (stud walls, door frames, skirting etc) and have decided to get something decent that will also be a useful addition to the future workshop. Looking around the archives the main choices seem to be Makita, Dewalt and Bosch.

What I was wondering is how ACTUALLY useful (compared to a nice to have) is a double bevel facility (Bosch GCM10SD/Makita LS1013) compared with a just a single bevel facility (DW712/Bosch GCM10S) and how many of you would part with the extra 100 quid or so to get the double bevel facility??

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not up to speed on prices but I think Axminster are doing the GCM10SD for £360 which is cheaper than D&M are selling the DW712 for (£400).

Not exactly in-depth research but maybe that Bosch is a deal worth looking at???

I think Alf has a Bosch and rates it highly. With any luck she'll be along soon

I have a DW712 myself and it's a great saw (except for the dust extraction, but then I don't think any of them are brilliant on that score!). I'm afraid I've never had a double bevel machine though so I can't compare.

cheers

I do indeed have the Bosch. Do I need the double-bevel facility? Well I have used it, simply because it's there, but probably, if I'm honest, I <i>could</i> live without it. But why would you want to when the rest of the GCM10SD is so lovely? Big table and fence, all the angle adjustments accessible without grovelling round the back (very useful when it's against a wall), handle angle adjustable to user preference (yeah, I sniggered too. But I use it), all the every day tasks tool-less (but all the tools on board for everything else anyway), quick action work clamp (my only quibble is it's a bit easy to skewer yourself on the upright when snapping home the clamp lever - but I don't honestly see how they'd have got rid of the problem) etc etc. Even the trenching facility isn't hopelessly clunky. It's a great saw and I'm glad I've got it. Just wish Axminster's offer had been around sooner; makes it a flippin' bargain. :( Oh, and it's a big sucker - be warned.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest it was the Bosch deal that I had my eye on but I kind of shot myself in the foot whilst wondering around one of the sheds with SWMBO looking for some floor tiles, when I happened to notice a 10 S with what I assume is an erroneous price of approx £255. Trouble is, now she knows what I can get that one for trying to justify the extra is gonna take some convincing...(myself included) :?

But I do like the look of the SD model...

Shall we start a new thread where you ask the same question and we all say that you absolutely cannot live without a double bevel facility, God-forbid-there'd-be-no-point-in-having-the-thing-without-it, yadda, yadda?

You could then show it to your SWMBO should the need arise! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only kidding! I'll get me coat...

Hi Scott

Scott":3coa93ij said:
Shall we start a new thread where you ask the same question and we all say that you absolutely cannot live without a double bevel facility

WHat a brilliant idea. We could start all sort of must have tool threads. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1brwnttp said:
WHat a brilliant idea. We could start all sort of must have tool threads. :lol:
I thought we'd already been doing that for years...? :-s :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2pviult6 said:
I thought we'd already been doing that for years...? :-s :wink: :lol:

No, they'd all have to be completely sanitised to remove any adverse comments or even the slightest trace of negativity!

P'raps Charley could figure out a way to provide a standard form where you fill in the name of the tool you're eyeing up and it produces the required best-tool-in-category thread? :lol: :wink:

Back