SCMS and tool repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyw

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago my trusty SCMS DW700 started having a problem with the guard release. I took it apart as much as possible, but got stuck on a brittle looking release washer, so could go no further and put it back together again. The blade was still original (from 2002) and has been giving a rough cut. I started to think about getting a new replacement, which would be a shame because it's been a great little machine that has helped to refurb 1 house, build another house and build a shed, greenhouse, fences etc etc.

I looked around the forum for advice on a replacement, Hitachi, Makita and Dewalt all faired well and so went to a see them at a couple of shops, including Aximinster and Isaac Lord in High Wycombe. At Isaac Lord I also saw a good looking AEG SCMS with a stand that seemed to be well thought of by the shop.

Yesterday lunchtime I googled toolshops near work and came across Burch and Hills in Aldershot, so I popped over to see what they had. On arrival I found a really old fashioned (good) shop with a repair area in the rear that looked like it would keep any tool going forever if needed.

I explained I was looking for a new SCMS and he took me through a DW717XPS and a Makita. I then explained the only reason I was looking was that my DW700 had a few problems. He immediately steered me away from a new machine and explained how the guard problem was common and easily fixed and the standard blade was good quality and could be re-sharpened for a fraction of the cost of a new one. After a service, guard repair and sharpened blade, he assured me that the machine would be as good as new and I'd need to spend around £500 to get a new equivalent (they don't make 'em like that anymore!)...

Aha, I thought, so what's all that going to cost? I took the dewalt in this lunchtime with a promise of a call detailing the total before any work done. This afternoon, got the call and it'll be £50+VAT all in and it'll be ready in just over a weeks time since that blade gets sent away.

Take out the parts, and the fact that he's getting someone else to sharpen the blade, I think the shop can only be earning £20 from the transaction.

Suffice to say, I'm hugely impressed with their attitude, especially in todays throw away world. For final judgement, I'll await getting the saw back, but it looks like I get to keep one of my favourite tools and they are going to get a happy new customer.

I've no link with them, just wanted to let people know.

I had the DW700, perfect machine, until somebody stole it out of my garage :cry:

now i still have the stand laying arround :?

andyw":3ldyszae said:
A couple of weeks ago my trusty SCMS DW700 started having a problem with the guard release. I took it apart as much as possible, but got stuck on a brittle looking release washer, so could go no further and put it back together again. The blade was still original (from 2002) and has been giving a rough cut. I started to think about getting a new replacement, which would be a shame because it's been a great little machine that has helped to refurb 1 house, build another house and build a shed, greenhouse, fences etc etc.

I looked around the forum for advice on a replacement, Hitachi, Makita and Dewalt all faired well and so went to a see them at a couple of shops, including Aximinster and Isaac Lord in High Wycombe. At Isaac Lord I also saw a good looking AEG SCMS with a stand that seemed to be well thought of by the shop.

Yesterday lunchtime I googled toolshops near work and came across Burch and Hills in Aldershot, so I popped over to see what they had. On arrival I found a really old fashioned (good) shop with a repair area in the rear that looked like it would keep any tool going forever if needed.

I explained I was looking for a new SCMS and he took me through a DW717XPS and a Makita. I then explained the only reason I was looking was that my DW700 had a few problems. He immediately steered me away from a new machine and explained how the guard problem was common and easily fixed and the standard blade was good quality and could be re-sharpened for a fraction of the cost of a new one. After a service, guard repair and sharpened blade, he assured me that the machine would be as good as new and I'd need to spend around £500 to get a new equivalent (they don't make 'em like that anymore!)...

Aha, I thought, so what's all that going to cost? I took the dewalt in this lunchtime with a promise of a call detailing the total before any work done. This afternoon, got the call and it'll be £50+VAT all in and it'll be ready in just over a weeks time since that blade gets sent away.

Take out the parts, and the fact that he's getting someone else to sharpen the blade, I think the shop can only be earning £20 from the transaction.

Suffice to say, I'm hugely impressed with their attitude, especially in todays throw away world. For final judgement, I'll await getting the saw back, but it looks like I get to keep one of my favourite tools and they are going to get a happy new customer.

I've no link with them, just wanted to let people know.

This is exactly why forums like this are so good. Alright being 100's of miles away I will probably never even see let alone use the shop, but there are many of other members who can.

There are very few businesses left that would turn the chance of £500 down to make just £20.

Andy thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back