Schools and snow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlawrence":2uo5ajmm said:
The CRB check system is the most stupidly designed system I've come across.
Don't get me wrong, it's a very good idea. But it is very very badly implemented.

What on earth is the point in having more than one check on a person. I know some people who actually hold 5 crb checks (one for working part time in a school, one for the cricket, another for brownies, another for helping out on school trips with another school and yet another for a local football team) which is ridiculous. One check should be enough and it should be renewed annually.

technically speaking you do only need one - when I was a ranger the one i got from my employer was also suifficient for helping run a watch group, and doing an after school activity club

trouble is that some organisations (or more likely their insurers) are paranoid and insist on doing their own - and secondly some activities ike teaching require an enhanced check wheras others only do a standard.

jlawrence":2koadjs0 said:
I didn't even know the 'standard' checks one still existed.

it may not - i didnt need one for my current job (to which i was appointed in 06) and i dont do them on our staff or volunteers because we arent working with vulnerable groups , so i am a little out of date

In teaching it has to be a separate check for each institution/agency. Which is probably them covering themselves, but ends up just the same. Phoning 'my' school would mean disclosing confidential information about me!

I've never had a CRB certificate - my employer kept it. All I had was GTC membership.

The truth is that the system just isn't set up to work like that, and so it doesn't. It would be reasonably possible - though my usefulness at the local church primary school might be questionable!

Yet in the NHS doctors and nurses are told to go to the nearest hospital in these circumstances and cases of severe emergency.

Smudger":3rmd6q24 said:
In teaching it has to be a separate check for each institution/agency. Which is probably them covering themselves, but ends up just the same. Phoning 'my' school would mean disclosing confidential information about me!

I've never had a CRB certificate - my employer kept it. All I had was GTC membership.

on the former point it wouldnt necessarily as all they have to ask is does dick smith work for you , and what does he look like ? ( when they said yes, and hes about 4ft tall and looks like a chimp there would be no doubt that it was you, not someone else using your certificate) - also disclosing info is not a problem under dpa if you give your permision

on the latter point thats a breach of CRB protocol - the Checkee is suposed to recieve the actual certificate of clearance with the employer keeping a photocopy

The employer shouldn't even see the CRB check until you give them the copy. It is supposed to be sent directly to you.
Unless the employer is the 'sponsoring' body. In my case the ECB was the sponsoring body and they saw the results before I did. My 'employer' - cricket club - didn't see the result until I gave them a photo copy.

big soft moose":1eklaknb said:
Smudger":1eklaknb said:

on the former point it wouldnt necessarily as all they have to ask is does dick smith work for you , and what does he look like ? ( when they said yes, and hes about 4ft tall and looks like a chimp there would be no doubt that it was you, not someone else using your certificate) - also disclosing info is not a problem under dpa if you give your permision

on the latter point thats a breach of CRB protocol - the Checkee is suposed to recieve the actual certificate of clearance with the employer keeping a photocopy

More a case of the school phoning proving who they are and that they have a legit cause for enquiry. Ask me about the Daily Mail some time...
No-one I know who was full-time employed in our authority ever had the certificate. They were kept! Mind you, that was Wandsworth...
My wife has hers from supply agencies, but I don't think her full-time school passed it on, otherwise she could have presented it to the supply mob.

But I agree - teachers should be able to present them, but they shouldn't have to pay for them!

However, there are still the practicalities of setting up a number of teachers with unknown capabilities in random subjects, possibly out of age-phase with classes which are themselves amalgamations and no lesson planning.... If I was the deputy head I'd make darned sure that I was stuck in snow that day!
Ofsted would have a field day (and yes, I know someone who has Ofsted this week).

jlawrence":2ij1zzvm said:
The employer shouldn't even see the CRB check until you give them the copy. It is supposed to be sent directly to you.
Unless the employer is the 'sponsoring' body. In my case the ECB was the sponsoring body and they saw the results before I did. My 'employer' - cricket club - didn't see the result until I gave them a photo copy.

In schools it is a legal requirement that THEY request the CRB and receive the results. Otherwise there would be the fake MOT problem...

My CRB certificate went directly to my employer and, when I had it done again for a charity I am involved with, the certificate came to me but had to be sent to the Regional Office for their records and is non-returnable.

Brendan

According to the CRB website there should be two copies sent out. One to you and one to the counter signatory - which I assume would be the employer.
Interesting, I know for a fact that my copy didn't come directly to me - it can't have as it had an accompanying letter from the ECB - and nor did one go directly to the club. Perhaps things have changed in the past 18 months.

Back