Scheppach 1100 Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
to all, Anybody know anything about Scheppach 1100dms .If you know anyone or if you have one yourself would be glad of any advice .I hope to buy one this week and could do with some help
Regards boysie39 :?

Mornin' Boysie. The Scheppach 1100dms is no better or worse than many clones on the market, although the 1hp motor would be a small bonus.

The thing that bothers me about these particular lathes is the way the tool rest is supported. They have that extra extension arm between the banjo and the tool rest. I would be very concerned about the rigidity of this set-up. If this can be removed so as the tool rest fits straight into the banjo fine, but I would check it out.

If buying new, check out some other manufacturer/suppliers, there are a lot of this type of lathe around the market and the price can vary a lot.

My little bit, hope it helps you, :roll:

TEP, thanks for your reply ,I'm only new at the turning scene andhave already been given a bad experience already . I have until tomorrow to make a deicision , All I will be turning would de bowls and the likes (Ihope) nothing long I saw a Union graduate for sale £500 Buy It Now on Ebay but these are all pick up only or it would cost half as much again to have it shipped to Ireland, so there are no bargins on ebay for me.
I did consider the Fox F46-719 and a few others ,but they are not on offer over here,I am buying the Scheppach from a large tool supplier over here hoping that if there are any problems at lest there should be back up. Thanks again Tep Regards boysie 39. :?

boysie39, as Tam says that machine pattern appears under several brand names, if it performs anything like the axminster versions then you should find it ok for at least a couple of years experience until you either get the bug hard and need to upgrade or decide to happily live with it to meet your needs.

Over here the Scheppach branding is not the cheapest.

Only caveat I would impose is that you take note of the recommendations to service the belt drive regularly, if like me with a similar first machine you use it regularly, then a once a month cleanout of the belt pulley area with the vacuum cleaner and dry-lube of the upper pulley and shaft with ptfe spray and a squirt of grease in the motor shaft for the lower pulley will keep it sweet and avoid seizing problems.

Tam, the extension arm rest is not needed for normal use, the rests reach fine without it, it just alows additional reach round a bigger bowl, albeit with a little more care on cutting loads due to the extra flex.

Thanks for the info. Chas, never used one of these lathes but didn't fancy that overhang using the extra banjo piece.

TEP":asem6fqg said:
Thanks for the info. Chas, never used one of these lathes but didn't fancy that overhang using the extra banjo piece.

Actually it is not too bad, due to the crude cast iron construction it is quite robust in use.

Thanks Chas. put my mind at rest as you say with care will last a few years, that will do me .Will take your advice on serviceing I like to see the innerds now and then. Regards boysie39

Latest posts

Back