Sceppach CS 55 Plunge saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
You May have seen my previous thread asking for feedback on Scheppach tools. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/anyone-had-much-experience-with-scheppach-tools-t71541.html

Since then I have bought this http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/s...e-saw-240v-with-1-4m-guide-rail-pid40065.html I've been using the saw all week on 3/4 ply, so it's had a good test.

A Scheppach CS55 track/plunge saw with 165mm blade. Beware if you are thinking of buying one they come with various sized blades the P145 has a 145mm blade. There is also a P155.

On the other thread 'Nippychippy' made a couple of observations as he already has one and 'hates using it'.

His three main points were: The cord is too short, the return spring that lifts the saw back up from the cut position is too strong, & the saw wobbles on the track meaning that it's difficult to get a 90 degree cut.

I agree fully with the cord length. NC said he stripped the saw and attached a new cord. I intend to cut the plug off and extend the cord by soldering the wires and then shrink tube insulating the joint with a healthy wrap of insulation tape over that.

The wobble is not an issue for me. I have checked numerous cuts and have have not found one that is anything but 90 deg.

The return spring is too strong, but is easily fixed. It sits on a shoe at the bottom and can be easily removed. I cut off about 5 coils in 3 stages. This now makes holding the saw down in the cut straightforward.

The accuracy of the thing is excellent. The track sticks down like glue and makes cutting sheet so much quicker and easier than with a conventional circular saw and home made guide.

I would recommend this tool. It's significantly cheaper than the competition and I can't see how spending the extra would give a better result. I'll be using it for work, kitchen fitting so if I find a major glitch rest assured I'll be back to comment.

Rating 8 out of 10. But for the spring and cable it would have been 10 on useage to date.

+1 on the sticky track, I have stopped using the clamps as it is so firm.

I am only a hobbiest so bought it because I couldn't justify the cost of a Festool et al. It is great for cutting down 8x4 sheets so much better than my old circular saw.

Had not thought about cutting down the spring, another job on my settling list.

Hi all

I know this is an old thread but hopefully still gets looked at occasionally. I'm looking to get a plunge saw soon, I've been thinking about one for a while now but as I'm soon going to be renovating a house I figured it gives me an excuse. I had been looking at a festool or Bosch but would rather not spend the money if the scheppach is up to the job. I'm a Joiner so it would get quite a bit of use, fitting doors and cutting out sinks etc. Just wondering what your opinion of the saw is now after having lived with it for a year? The scheppach would be about £100 cheaper than the dewalt and £200 cheaper than the festool or Bosch.

Thanks in advance :)

Superb! Used for site on average once a week. Still as good as new.

2 negatives. The cable is really short, and the depth adjustment knob is stiff and fiddly. I extended the cable and can live with the stiff knob (ahem!).

Recommended.

Be aware that the depth stop is set to measure when the saw is flat on a surface so it is not set for measuring from the guide plate. I have no idea why! Easily fixed with a new indicator block stuck on. Dust collection could be improved although I have seen a fettle on YouTube using a folding plastic insert.

I will avoid making childish jokes about your " stiff knob". Thanks for such a speedy reply. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal :)

Just got one of these saws as I've seen some good reviews. I've not tried it yet but it certainly feels solid. It's replacing an old black and decker circular saw, in comparison it sounds like a mouse fart.

The cord is ridiculously short, I'll swap that. I don't know if they've caught on but the spring on mine seems fine.

I also got 2x700mm tracks which it didn't mention in the description, that's a bonus. So with the 1400 I could rip down full sheets.

I saw a youtube review where the guy removed the adhesive strips and stuck them back further to the edges, this would make it more stable.

I'll look forward to trying it tomorrow.

The blue ones on the track, the ones the base of the saw glide on. It makes sense really, just a design flaw. Simple fix though.

Dimmaz88":c7wyzuyx said:
The blue ones on the track, the ones the base of the saw glide on. It makes sense really, just a design flaw. Simple fix though.

Found the video thanks.

I tried out my new scheppach today. Gives a very clean cut, tried it on mdf and ply.

The dust extraction is pretty good too, I only use a henry and a dust cyclone but there wasn't much that it missed.

I will address the rocking issue, the blue glide strips are just too close together. I might just remove them and stick them to the base of the saw. That way there isn't any unevenness to worry about, they do seem a bit up and down as they are.

It's solidly built and isn't any slop in the saw itself, it seems to lock up tightly with the angle adjustment screws.

A minor gripe would be the cams that snug it up to the track, if you tighten them you have to feed the saw onto the track rather than just sitting it down.

Overall though it's a great deal, it will make cross-cutting a breeze from now on!

P.S. Why do they always show these plunge saws trimming the edges of laminate? Who would want that size gap around the edge? I think this one is about 19mm, I'm sure others are slightly less but even so. You'd need a hefty beading or skirt!

I sorted out the glides on my saw today. I decided to remove the blue strips from the track, but instead of re-sticking them to the track I attached them to the saw base.

I have 2.8m of track so initially I chose to do it this way for speed. However, I also thought it would be more accurate as I would only have to stick down two small strips.

I just ripped them off the track, cleaned the tape residue and stuck them to the base of the saw with mammoth tape. They're not going anywhere! As you can see in the pic, they are as wide as possible so very stable. It will also be useful when using the saw without the track, it won't leave any metal marks on the work.

One of my gripes with the saw was tightening the cams to remove the slop. As you turn the cam it slides under a small lip, this means you can no longer just lift off the saw, you have to feed it on/off.
As I have re-attached the glides to the base of the saw, it's raised it a couple of mm. This means the cams no longer slide under the lip, and you can now just sit the saw on the track.

I hope this helps with the minor defects of the saw.

Attachments

• Cam.jpg
    Cam.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 9,667
  • Slides.jpg
    Slides.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 9,667
Hi just came back on to the forum sorry I have been missing that saw is a pain in the butt there were to many design faults for me to mess about with .but I glad people are I happy with

I bought one of these for ripping down large sheets of mdf and 4mm Birch ply. We initially had loads of problems with tear out on the birch with our old circ saw and a clamped down piece of timber. We bought this and put a new freud blade in it and it works wonderfully. For the small trade user or home workshop it's ideal. I think if I was trimming down fire doors all day long I would stretch to the makita/festool but it's a great price of kit for the money. Managed to get a really good price from Anglia tool center and next day delivery if you order before 1600 so it was even better!!

Back