sawdust woodburner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwoodjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
its half way through august already and I still have not found a good sawdust woodburner. I have looked at the relax ones and greenheart ones but some say they burn out quickly the latest one is a tecnik on the bay but it does sell the flu pipes for them.any tips or any ideas on good sawdust woodburner. :?:

I know someone with a Tecnik and he is pleased with it. You should be able to use standard wood burner flue components with it.

They will all burn quickly as sawdust is low energy fuel both by volume and by weight. Or did you mean burn out i.e. deteriorate? In which case you just have to pay more - welded steel is much more durable than cast iron.
Possible answers to fast burning are: frequent refuelling, to go bigger to reduce frequent refuelling, to go in for batch burning.
Batch burning ideally means burning intermittent charges of fuel at max efficiency (i.e. fast and hot, fan assisted) but storing the heat in a large hot water tank a.k.a. "thermal store" to serve a central heating system. The system then doesn't need a continuous burn but instead uses an intermittent blast to top up the heat store, as necessary.
We are looking at one for our current project and will report back. It looks expensive but will burn any dry wood, sawdust cardboard and paper, much of which will be free.

I thought conventional wisdom is that 'cast' is superior to 'welded' and this is reflected in the price of stoves? Perhaps this doesn't apply to sawdust burners.

hanser":3t4i701k said:
I thought conventional wisdom is that 'cast' is superior to 'welded' and this is reflected in the price of stoves? Perhaps this doesn't apply to sawdust burners.
Cast is cheaper and less durable as a rule. We've got a (steel) Dowling Firebug multifuel which has been burning hot on and off for about 10 years and so far has needed no maintenance. Previous stoves (Morso Squirrel and others) all needed new baffles, firebricks etc. every year.

Make your own. We have done. Burn lasts about 4 hours. Burns green saw dust, dry sawdust, bark, smaller lumps of wood, other stuff.

You will need:

1 steel drum
1 steel bin
3 engineering bricks
1 steel roasting tray
1 length of drain pipe for filling
1 no. 90 degree flue
some flue pipe (we use the spiral ducting a la extractor ducting)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37897677/Doub ... dust-Stove - Similar to this but with only the upper flue and a much smaller opening at the bottom.

Only takes a couple of hours to make.

I went for the Technik one on e-bay. I then bought all of the flue components from another seller on e-bay. (Cost more than the stove!) but it did the job. They do work very well and as has been stated the sawdust doesn't give out as much heat as wood but it will burn most of the day on one filling. I generally fill it up to three quarters with sawdust and then add timber on top of this. I then add timber as it burns down. I have the large one for my large workshop.

we used to get saw dust, small wood chippings, bark and such (in fact any thing that would burn)and use a press to turn these all in to a mixed block of solid fuel, burn time was great and so was the heat output,

Back