Saw verdict.....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

As a treat to me, I’m contemplating a new dovetail saw, Rip pattern.

There are a number in the frame, including all the usual suspects, Lie-Nielsen, Veritas et al.

Now, I find that L-N’s quality is very good but (in my opinion), overpriced in the UK, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I have used a Roberts and Lee Dorchester cross-cut that I’m very fond of for some years, now and they are currently part of the Thomas Flinn Empire, so, trying to stay British, what is the user’s verdict on Pax saws?

Anyone got one? Constructive views would be very welcome.

As a postscript, what's the opinion on variable pitch saws? I've never used one of these - is it a fad or something useful?

Argus":37yh3f52 said:
As a postscript, what's the opinion on variable pitch saws? I've never used one of these - is it a fad or something useful?

It may or may not work, but it's a little long in the tooth (no pun intended) to be called a fad. variable/incremental/progressive teeth have been used for at least 100 years!

BugBear

Most can use a touch up and stoning out of the box (the exceptions, from my examples, were Medallion, Wenzloff, Two Lawyers and Gramercy (so no surprises so far,) Cosman and Veritas.)
Pax work just fine. Mine did beg a few minutes work with rasp and file on the handle. Same with their other ranges, though may want to do rather more in the handle department.
Veritas certainly delivers most for the price, and IMO doesn't sacrifice comfort for the trekkie aesthetic, as do their planes..
I have a feeling LN and Adria have the least aggressive rake, as to me, they feel the bluntest out of the box (ridiculously, I've never thought to check this - will do tonight)

I think most of the British made saws are let down by their handles especially the cheaper ones.

If you want to buy British, WH sell an Atkinson Walker kit where you can make your own nicely shaped and fitted handle?
I bought a couple of Gramercy kits whilst in NYC - they make lovely saws.

gwdtsaws1.jpg

Gramercy on top, Wenzloff below.

Rod

If you don't mind the price (maybe about £120 in the UK) the Gramercy is outstanding - even Chris Schwartz at Pop woodworking rates it over the LN, and he is a true LN fan. They will ship the kit from New Jersey too. Ray Isles is closely connected with them as he sells a lot of his mortice chisels through 'Tools for working wood' - he will get Gramercy products for you if that helps. The other idea is ask Pedder who posts here - Two Lawyers saws - http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.com/p/home.html - look stunning and heard very good reports but an investment tool (nice way of saying pricey).
Gramercy is at:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/

The last I want to mention is the Veritas, about £55 from Axminster and others. Very highly rated - not quite so pretty as the real premium ones but it would be on my shortlist definitely. So one American, one Canadian, and one German... sorry, no English - I cannot find one that cuts it against these. If I'm wrong someone please point me to a great English dovetail saw, as I am genuinely keen to support English tool-making.

Back