Saw till, no table saw, an idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
I am fully (should I say painfully? :( ) aware that my kind of "woodworking" is awfully substandard when compared with the works by the usual contributors of this forum. There are a number of reasons for that, no point in discussing them.

However, there just may be someone lurking with similar limitations to mine, who may find this idea helpful so, with my apologies, here goes.

I felt the need for a small saw till. Not that I have that many saws, but I have even less wallspace available, and I have had enough of having my saws resting on bookshelves - on top of the books.

One can find hundreds of examples of saw tills in the net. But almost every one of them requires a table saw for making the slots for the saws. Horizontal racks were not an option (wallspace...).

I have no table saw, and did not enjoy the idea of cutting the slots as mortises - too much work for a simple saw till, and besides the wood I have around wouldn't be up to it.

After a little head scratching I came up with the idea of using wooden pegs, which I cut from 8mm diameter beech rod.
The pictures show the end result, which fulfill my needs even if it is not exactly pretty. Distance between saw blades is 40mm center to center, width of the "slots" is 9mm to account for the thickest sawteeth protection plastic strips.

I hope this may be of help to someone.

Attachments

• xIMG_6561rx.jpg
    xIMG_6561rx.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • xIMG_6563rx.jpg
    xIMG_6563rx.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,001
I can see that your method works, so that's great.
But when I made mine, it never crossed my mind to use a tablesaw!

I just used a thicker piece of wood than you and made saw cuts into it, using each of the saws that was going to be stored in the till. :wink:

Thanks. I thought of that option, but discarded it, because northern pine being rather soft, and my fingers even more so - I have a knack of getting small cuts on my hands - I wanted the saw teeth on every saw to be fully covered when on the till. No handsaw kerf would be wide enough to accomodate those plastic strips. I also wanted the location of the saws to be interchangeable - so I made the "slots" all the same width.

Latest posts

Back