Saw Till Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2u18e86b said:
It's hard.

BugBear
I agree, but its even harder if you can't remember which one it was! In any case if its a quick sharpen, rather than a recut, it's nice to be able to give each tooth two light file cuts, and rest every couple of inches, knowing you can start where you left off. I can't see the shape of a 20TPI tooth, but I can see that I have been there..

As we drift away from saw till design...

BB mentioned something important and that is sharpening a saw is more than running a file over the teeth, no matter how consistent one is.

A well filed saw is akin to tuning a plane. One can begin at any level, and nearly any result, and most often make the plane or saw better than it was.

But for different types of work, one can tune the filing to be more/less agressive or smoother in the cut, even for the same number of teeth. Same goes for different types of woods. For someone who is working primarily in softwoods, I would not sharpen the saw the same. For someone new to using a handsaw, I might add a tad more set and more rake on a rip, for instance.

Those and other issues should be taken into account when sharpening a saw...but most likely one can always make any saw better than it was just by sharpening at the same angle as was previously sharpened.

And to come back to the topic...here is one of the saw things (I hesitate to call them tills) I knocked up in order to accomodate a change in the layout of my shop. Another temporary solution--I hope. If for no other reason that I have 3 of these on different walls.

Just a couple boards glued and screwed to the wall. Kerfs into the top board and basically a ledge for the handles.

Mike

tills_0001a.jpg

MikeW":16wnmb7w said:
As we drift away from saw till design...

Just a couple boards glued and screwed to the wall. Kerfs into the top board and basically a ledge for the handles.

Mike

tills_0001a.jpg

Was the second, higher, "ledge for the handles" added to allow for shorter saws?

Was the second, higher, "ledge for the handles" added to allow for shorter saws?
Oh Dave, one should not ascribe too much thinking on my part. Lack of planning and "winging" it was the order of the day.

Too hastily knocked up as far as the top board--I didn't measure my shorter saws and so put it a little higher than I sould have.

As for the bottom, well the multi-level was a design feature. Or rather, it became one once some of the saws with longer bottom horns than the couple I used to gauge from were resting on the shelf portion.

The one in the picture was the first of these "temporary" things I made. The other couple were made with a little more thought. Not much, but a little :lol:

Mike

MikeW":svinxj27 said:
Oh Dave, one should not ascribe too much thinking on my part. Lack of planning and "winging" it was the order of the day.

As for the bottom, well the multi-level was a design feature. Or rather, it became one once some of the saws with longer bottom horns than the couple I used to gauge from were resting on the shelf portion.

Mike

My saw-storage-thing required some re-engineering after a few days. One of my saws had longer horns than the saw that I designed the rack with. So, I had to add some "feet" to it get things to fit. My newest backsaw was much larger than I thought would be so I had to redesign the kerf board to keep it from falling over backwards. Guess that's why these rapidly knocked up things are our "temporary" shop fixtures. Somehow they hang around the shop much longer than we think they will though . . . :roll:

Guess that's why these rapidly knocked up things are our "temporary" shop fixtures. Somehow they hang around the shop much longer than we think they will though . . . :roll:
LOL--they do hang around a bit. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, I really misapply the term "temporary" as regards most shop fixtures. They get knocked up well enough to be functional and so get used to the point I can't stand it any longer and so begins thinking about a "real" whatever-the-temporary thing is.

I thought I had come to that point on the saw tills. But when push came to shove, I opted for yet another "temporary" sollution. But I am still bugged about it. So I will design a nice one. Once I stop buying some collectable saws anyway. To the horror of some galloots, I do use these collectable saws. I bought them for that purpose.

Oh well. I think the drugs are kicking in enough to go file some saws. I wonder how they'll turn out :lol:

Take care, Mike

nice tills guys, but surely they are all temporary.

the first one is just knocked up to meet the present needs, then
we get more skilful and want something more beautiful, and more
to reflect our newer skills. Then we aim for Studley. but what we do not
know is how long it took Studley to make his box that we now see.

last year i made a new cupboard in the hall of my flat(apartment) to
hide the hot water cylinder and so on, and then to put my power
tools. once i'd got the 708 dewalt in to this place, i ran out of space.
gawd knows where the hand tools are going to go. Having sharpened
them, now i need to use them to make their homes.

but like us all, i have this double edged problem, some work is done
at home, some on site. so what do i build a portable one, that inevitably
gets to be too heavy, so like everybody i end up using a bunch of the
cases our power tools come in, and a couple of rucksacks to carry the
hand tools.

then we need a bench at home, do we put tools into that?

the problem is never ending, because just as soon as we get the
first one built something new comes along, and it has to be left out
until we can find another home,or storage facility.

evie made a comment elsewhere about planing full shavings.
surely that depends upon how flat the wood is, not just the
position of the blade? Mike W you know more about that than me.

:wink:
paul

Hi All
Well, it only took a few months but here is my upgraded saw till (made with ideas gleaned from you talented lot :lol: ) Constructed from the finest hand picked materials (shop scrap), here it is.....
saw%20till%2006.jpg

Gives me a little more room for new tools, if any ever come along.... :whistle:
Philly :D

Nice till Phil! :)

I was looking at your shop shots -- the new acquisitions haven't slowed down, have they? Did you get some nice stuff for Christmas?

Good pictures, all in all, of the projects and tools. But, you need to get a better picture of the pink Princess scooter. ;)

philsshop.jpg

Guess you didn't take over the whole two-car garage. :shock: :lol:

Ouch :roll:
Got me there Dave :lol:
Here's an updated view-I've put all my machinery in one half of the double garage that is my workshop. The table saw, router table and jointer are bunched together as an island, the rest are around the perimeter. Seems to be working out so far (lets hope I don't have any 12 foot planks to rip down.....)
workshop06a.jpg

workshop06b.jpg

All my hand tools, the bench and a nice size assembly area are in the other half.
New tools??? Um.... L-N 140N, the Adria tenon saw, Stanley 71. At least that's all I can remember at the moment. Oh, I have a nice Diston winging its way from the States as we speak, too. \:D/
Pics to follow,
Best regards

waterhead37":13kyw8c7 said:
Dave,
I think it has its ups and downs and it is definitely in a down at the moment. However, I wouldn't blame it for that article - I just found it horribly accurate as far as I was concerned being honest with myself.
Same here. I wonder if they did that to see how people would react. They had reader feedback this month that had 3 people's comments with 3 completely different viewpoints.

JesseM":1yuhlypl said:
waterhead37":1yuhlypl said:
Dave,
I think it has its ups and downs and it is definitely in a down at the moment. However, I wouldn't blame it for that article - I just found it horribly accurate as far as I was concerned being honest with myself.
Same here. I wonder if they did that to see how people would react. They had reader feedback this month that had 3 people's comments with 3 completely different viewpoints.

They certainly have their ups and downs -- as all magazines do. They had a good issue this month. Next month should be even better -- they're publishing one of my tips! ;)

Philly":3pkzuo89 said:
Ouch :roll:
Got me there Dave :lol:

Nah, I was only yanking your chain Philly. More than a few of us are envious of your tool collection, err selection. ;)

I did like the shots of your projects. The jewelry boxes gave me some ideas. Are they maple?

I'll have to post some pics of my daughter's "castle bed" when I get it finished.

Back