Saw Till Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh tsk tsk...a metal saw till? Oh the shame the saws must feel!

Tell you what, Alf. I'll take them off your hands and even pay the postage costs. :lol:

Mike,
who has his own "temporary" saw till problem...and a couple stacks of saws. And a box. Or two.

MikeW":et108wxf said:
Tell you what, Alf. I'll take them off your hands and even pay the postage costs. :lol:
Mike, you're the soul of generosity, but I couldn't impose on you in such a way. =; :lol:

Cheers, Alf

MikeW":1i3nct0z said:
Mike,
who has his own "temporary" saw till problem...and a couple stacks of saws. And a box. Or two.

Mike,

I feel for you. You have stacks and boxes of saws? :shock:

At least you have a cabinetry business where you can justify (rationalize?) your purchases. The rest of have to keep our quantity of tools somewhat reasonable. :roll:

If you need to make room for Alf's box of saws, I can cover the postage for a box of yours to the east coast. ;)

MikeW":30lsnf33 said:
Oh tsk tsk...a metal saw till? Oh the shame the saws must feel!

Mike,

Imagine the sorrow those stacked and boxed saws feel ?! :cry:
Never getting to see the light of day . . . . .
Drowning in their own rustiness from that West Coast atmosphere

oh the shame . . . . :lol:

Oh, no. No imposition I assure you! :D

I'll even send the carrier around to collect them. Say noon tomorrow? :wink:

Nice bunch of saws, though.

Isn't "temporary" a really improperly used word when it comes to woodworkers who either have other lives or actually make things? I know it is for me. Knock something up in order to "temporarily" solve an issue (like yesterday). Truth is, unless I have to, it'll remain until I die.

There's a fellow I know who has not in 5 years finished his shop. He has made a couple items for around the house under pressure from his better half, but all his time is consumed with making his shop and shop fixtures.

He has decided he rather enjoys making his shop into what looks like a giant, albeit more open, Studdley tool chest. In 10 more years, though, it might just truly resemble it! This is great for him. Me, I'm too lazy for that. But he does receive great joy from it. Making his storage fixtures more efficient also gives him justification for obtaining more tools, too!

Speaking of saws, time to get to work...

Mike

ydb1md":27h0yite said:
The rest of have to keep our quantity of tools somewhat reasonable. :roll:
I won't have such filthy language on this forum! [-( :lol:

Unfortunately, it's often true. At some point I'm going to have to stop just thinking about rationalising and actually do something about it properly. Dribs and drabs ain't making any impact. :( Plus I'm turning into one of those people that used to annoy me intensely when I started - i.e. I'd rant at the magazine/book/monitor with cries of "why d'you have three of those?! I really, really, need one to USE, and you're sitting on three of them?!" I apologise if I have the same effect on anybody else. :oops: What can I say? Make me an offer, I suppose. :? :roll: :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Hah!
You have stacks and boxes of saws? At least you have a cabinetry business where you can justify (rationalize?) your purchases. The rest of have to keep our quantity of tools somewhat reasonable.
"Reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder :lol:

Truth be told, strictly for making stuff, I would only "need" less than 10 saws. Not the ... bunch I have.

The saws are for refurb and selling, or, for cutting up in order to make new saws. The couple dozen that are currently "mine" I have bought for their uniqueness and or utility for ther biz.

And then there are the 20-30 saws that are not mine that are for sharpening, sent by their owners. Half of that biz is from working carpenters who have gotten tired of hardpoint saws and their disposability, or who have a bunch of older saws they use.
Imagine the sorrow those stacked and boxed saws feel ?!
Never getting to see the light of day...Drowning in their own rustiness from that West Coast atmosphere
The ones in the boxes are for getting cut into parts for other saws. Imagine how that makes 'em feel!

But no rust. The shop is heated from the house's forced air furnace. Nothing has ever gotten rust on it, unless I failed to wipe off sweat from working. I leak a lot.

Mike

I recently purchased a refurbished Atkins from this gentleman

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=woodnut4

In addition to refurbishing, he's made some very nice saws for himself.

Backsaws.jpg

Alf said...

The fact they've cost a fortune by the time they're in working order is neither here nor there.

I'll grant my initial costs to get "set" for saw restoration were high (saw vice, saw set, car boot files at 50p EACH, I tell you, EACH!), but ongoing costs are very low indeed (excluding my time, of course)

Where are spending out?

BugBear (tempter to finally buy some of APTC's vallorbe saw files)

Well first up I don't have any 50p files, which racks the price up quite a bit. :( Especially if it's a retoothing job, as it so often seems to be, when files die like so many moths round a candle. :roll: Then there's the cleaning up sundries as well - for both blade and handle, the magnifying doodah so I can actually see the bally teeth, and so forth. But mainly it's expensive in time - which is a rare commodity and thus not cheap. :D

Or to put it another way; if I sell any, please don't any prospective buyer expect to pick it up for pennies like I did, 'cos there's been some on-costs. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

the magnifying doodah so I can actually see the bally teeth,

Interesting - what do you use?

Lens-on-a-flexi-stalk or visor?

BugBear (who recently shelled out 2.99 on a 4.0 dioptre "ready-spex as a trial)

Visor. It cost me considerably more than the ones I subsequently saw everywhere after I'd bought it, natch. ](*,) I still get on better without it, to be honest, but not for so long at a time.

Cheers, Alf

bugbear":1pr3pinr said:
I bought ready-spex u21 at 4 dipoptre ( at Tesco )

http://www.readyspex.co.uk/products.html

Following ... http://www.bertech.com/product8/magnifi_notes.htm

I get:
Magnification power: 1.333
Total power: 2.333
Focal Length: 10"

I haven't really tried them yet.
BugBear

You'll have to give us a review. :) I'm looking at the optisight and optivisor by Donegan optical but I'm not sure which magnification to get.

The 15ppi teeth on my saw look reeeaaally small.

I use a magnifying glass on a stalk. It is 3x IIRC.
I lucked out and found the estate sale of a man who owned a sharpening service. There were several boxes of NOS Nicholson files in various sizes so I'm stocked for life for less than $20. :lol:

Roger Nixon":3pf5hmmm said:
I lucked out and found the estate sale of a man who owned a sharpening service. There were several boxes of NOS Nicholson files in various sizes so I'm stocked for life for less than $20. :lol:
How many gloats like this do you have up your sleeve, Roger? Keep it up and you'll soon take Philly's place as gloatmeister.
Frank

ydb1md":3hhswv9f said:
I know its probably sucking eggs and grannies time, but with my eyesight I always daub permanent black felt tip all along the teeth gullies so I can see which one I filed last, especially if I need to stop and scratch something. When I do the other side I repeat the daubing. I haven't seen that tip in any texts that I have read.
I also use some of those flip up additional specs (I think from Tilgear in UK) on top of prescription safety glasses. (There's no more important safety rule than..... :wink: )

Jarviser":3aoc4i0s said:
ydb1md":3aoc4i0s said:
I know its probably sucking eggs and grannies time, but with my eyesight I always daub permanent black felt tip all along the teeth gullies so I can see which one I filed last
Yeah, I do that. Destroys the marker pen, but very effective.

Cheers, Alf

I know its probably sucking eggs and grannies time, but with my eyesight I always daub permanent black felt tip all along the teeth gullies so I can see which one I filed last, especially if I need to stop and scratch something.

Sadly, to file a saw well, you need to be able to see EXACTLY wether a tooth has been filed enough, which requires vision and judgement WAY below the whole teeth level.

It's hard.

BugBear

Back