saw sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am going for a operation to widen my spinal canal soon so i wont be able to do any hard heavy work
so i am willing to teach anyone the ways of saw sharpening .
i will show you how you can crosscut with a rip filed saw and how to level all the teeth so the gullet and the tops of the teeth are all equal also the correct way to file crosscut teeth how you can cut new teeth with a very cheap file so you keep your good files for sharpening .
if you are at all interested please get in touch.

Well I would be very interested as it's an area I'd like to add to my skillset soon - alas, you are too far away from where I live - very good of you to offer like this though. The operation sounds quite major - I hope that goes well for you, make sure you follow their rehabilitation advice and don't try to get back to work too soon!

Good luck with the operation.

I too am a bit far away... (which is a pity 'cause my sharpening skills are a bit rusty - like my saws).

Cheers, Vann.

i live 15 mile south ot doncaster in a small town called gainsbrough i will never work again in fulltime employment so i want to pass on what i no to others.

If I was local I'd definitely be visiting. I think it's an increasingly rare skill, yet there are so many really fine old saws around that can be got back to excellent with your abilities. Surely a few up your way will pay you a visit.

I'd love to be there , I also live down in central London.

Such a selfless offer to pass on the knowledge and in turn we'd be able to pass it on again.
It would be great if we were somehow able to video/film you giving a "Master class" in saw sharpening, particularly tenon and dovetail saws :D .
Would you be willing to be filmed, or your hands at least?

I do hope the Operation is 100% successful and it all works out well for you and your family.

Best regards,
Dave

i would be open to make a video if somone wants to sort it thats fine with me just got to show hands only as i dont want to have my workshop broken into
pete

Hi Pete - I'm happy to do the video editing (I have some skills in that dept) if someone else can send me the files. I doubt I'll be able to come that far, but I might be able to you never know. However I'm happy to help get your skills recorded for everyone's benefit as it could be a great help. Certainly would be to me!

Having spent a fascinating afternoon with Pete, that was both instructive and productive. I'd like to publicly thank him, the tip in first 20 minutes was worth the trip. If you're considering saw sharpening and want to be shown how, give Pete a call. Best wishes to him for his up coming operation. john.

thanx john it was so nice to meet you and the start of a friendship i hope will last a lifetime.
wee all have some skill we can share we owe it to the future artisans.
1 thing i will say is that all this sharpening to silly thousands is twaddle if your surface is to smooth it will not take any finnish i have been in the trade for nearly 40 yrs and we still have to sand back to give the finish a key .
also as soon as you put any liqud or spirt on your workpiece it will open up the fibres so why why bang on about it .
also dont let your tools get too blunt take 5 out as you work and sharpen up lad
simples

Hi - I don't suppose the offer of expert teaching is still available? I've only just noticed this post but would love a primer on saw sharpening to get me started.

cheers

Daniel

dp341":2dukijhs said:
Hi - I don't suppose the offer of expert teaching is still available? I've only just noticed this post but would love a primer on saw sharpening to get me started.

cheers

Daniel

As intimated earlier, lots of good web pages and videos out there.

BugBear

so bugbear you dont like the idea of someone passing on something usefull video and books have ther place but wat do you have a prob with did you get taught at school by video .
i have had alot of people who want to come and learn along with some well known members you are welcome to come along anytime i just want to share wat i know and what i was taught is that so wrong of me if so then please tell me

lurcher":1uciqcgv said:
so bugbear you dont like the idea of someone passing on something usefull video and books have ther place but wat do you have a prob with did you get taught at school by video .
i have had alot of people who want to come and learn along with some well known members you are welcome to come along anytime i just want to share wat i know and what i was taught is that so wrong of me if so then please tell me

I've nothing against 1:1 teaching, I even did a demo of saw sharpening myself at DaveL's Sudbury bash.

I was just trying to help the guy who missed your course, providing options and alternatives.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back