saw sharpening by post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a couple of old handsaws I'd like to have sharpened. Anyone know anyone in the far west of Wales?

Failing that by post?

Also I've got a fairly pitted blade from a wood plane which my chippy mate says is knackered. Wouldn't mind seeing if life can be got from it.

selly":1m71smzr said:
Got a couple of old handsaws I'd like to have sharpened. Anyone know anyone in the far west of Wales?

Failing that by post?

Saws are horribly expensive to post, and difficult to pack.

If you can find someone local - use them.

Send a cheap saw first.

BugBear

Thomas Flinn (Pax) the Sheffield saw makers will sharpen your saws. As Bugbear states the postage both ways makes it a little expensive.
Oh, and they know how to sharpen saws

Hi Selly, have you thought about having a go yourself? It's really not that difficult and incredibly rewarding. I'd be happy to help you learn.

How difficult is it to sharpen a saw then?

I've inherited a few tenon & dovetail saws from my late grandafther and they're in really good nick aside from needing a bit of a clean. All but one a re a bit dull though & could do with a sharpen.

It's no more difficult than sharpening a chisel or a plane iron - different yes but there's nothing mystical about it.

Here's a link to my notes on sharpening and a video of Tom Lie Nielsen about filing crosscut saws and setting teeth. With a bit of practice you'll soon be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Tip: Wiping a bit of chalk on the file makes it cut more smoothly.

I taught myself how to sharpen saws this winter, and yes it is extremely rewarding.
They are good tips you have there Mathew.
Get hold of some old saws and practise on them first, I would go for the 21 inch plus crosscut first as they have bigger teeth. I find it easy to get lost on my smaller tenon saws.
Do not forget to joint the saw before filing and then setting

Back