Saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Where in the UK can I get a decent fence ?

Been looking at the Unifence and Biesemeyer but all the places selling them seem to be US based and I have been caught by the high postage costs and then stung on import duty as well so I really want somewhere in the UK to get it from.

Many thanks in advance

HI Raggy
Have you thought of making your own. It really is very straightforward, I did it on my previous saw and the fence was rock solid.

You need to mount a square box section rail on the front of your saw and an angle iron rail on the back, just to support the back of the rail.

Another lenght of angle iron, just 200mm or so long rides along the square box section at the front, using bras amchine screws as bearings, becasue brass slides well on steel.

The fence itself is 50mm x 25mm box section, bolted with four bolts to the short angle iron.

Finally, a straight toggle clamp provides a 3-point lock holding the short angle iron tot he square front fence.

I know that must be difficult to imagine, but if you have access to the FW.com website, there is an article from an ancient FWW showing exactly this. I don't know which issue and I don't even know if it is the online archive, but that's where I got the idea from.

You don't need any special tools beyond a drill and hacksaw and file.
S

The Mulecab Accusquare is just about the only aftermarket fence I have seen in the UK. I had a look at it at Harrogate last year and it seemed a great bit of kit for the money. If you go for this, make sure you buy the short fence as well.

A few years ago I made a Norm's Delta Table saw extension table that also had a design for a fence using a cramp. I bought a cheapo aluminium sash cramp from APT and encased it top and back with ply and the front face with melamine coated MDF. A few internal supports to keep the cramp upright and it worked fine - - until the saw packed up!! :(

Rod

Tony posted thisa while ago. It does involve some welding/brazing and general metalworking skills, but it certainly looks do-able. There are also other diy versions out there in web land.

Steve Maskery":3dtjxoo2 said:
HI Raggy
Have you thought of making your own. It really is very straightforward, I did it on my previous saw and the fence was rock solid.
S
No too good at making things :oops: , just starting out so I want something that'll work :)

Slim":197ko5mz said:
The Mulecab Accusquare is just about the only aftermarket fence I have seen in the UK. I had a look at it at Harrogate last year and it seemed a great bit of kit for the money. If you go for this, make sure you buy the short fence as well.
Oooh, I like that (takes a quick peek into wallet, dodging the moths)

Thanks everyone for your comments

There is of course the Incra TS fence but cheap it ain't. Have a look on Rutlands but buy from Woodworkers Workshop to save a few pennies. Also don't rule out buying from the states. Often if yoy email or call the company they'll quote you for international shipping. US eBay too.

Back