Saw blade... deflection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Festool corded are 2.2mm kerf. Mafell corded are 1.7 or 1.8mm. Bosch cordless are 1point something...
As long as the bore and diameter match you can swap blades as you wish, but the rubber anti splinter strip will be a tiny bit off once you've put a 2.2mm blade down the track.
I'm pretty sure my tracksaw ripping blades are positive rake but for the best finish on man made sheet materials, -ve rake as well as lots of teeth may well be best.

is that the wrong size blade? 1.7mm kerf will be for cordless saws. tracksaw blades are normally 2.2mm. I've found freud blades are OK unfortuneatly the tracksaw blades are negative rake. them trend ones are good and cheap.
The Freuds I have say they are for either corded or cordless and have a positive rake of 15 degr. I do see that Freud make a 160mm 2.5mm kerf intended specifically for track saws. The crosscut are offered with three diff rake angles, only one of which is negative. However, they are much dearer than the 165mm 1.7 kerf. Interesting.

So, after a bit of reading last eve I see this rabbit hole goes somewhat deep. Having previously looked only at who makes a well regarded 24t and 40-48t blade producing a cut with a good finish, I'd never looked at the mechanics of rake angle, tooth shape/pattern, etc. The "cheapest well reviewed blade" doesn't really get one there, though farther than whatever is for sale at your outlet of choice. It does appear that Trend and Shark are likely good choices at the cheap end of the scale, and Festool and the better Freud are good choices at the more expensive end of the scale... provided one chooses the right blade for the application and has an idea why! ...still I need to run some tests this weekend on my existing cheap Freud and Makita blades.

Last edited:
Back