Saw bed needs cleaning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Been out of action recently and noticed my saw bed getting rusty and other bits of cr@p collecting on it. I'm led to believe their is a paste you can buy to clean it????

I used fine wire wool on mine and then gave it a coating of wax polish and its fine, my workshop has heating now so less damp in there.
Wondered where you were Rob and wasn't aware of your breakdancing tricks! 9-) no pain no gain, thought scrolling was supposed to be a safe hobby? lol hopefully your on the mend now?
Cheers
Brian

A plastic scouring pad sponge and wd40 is what I have used on cast iron before. I don't like wd40 as a whole because it seems to get used for things that it isn't well suited to- as a penetrating fluid for example but it is good for this purpose.

A thing that I find useful is once it's sparkly clean, carefully cover it with sticky backed plastic pressing out any air bubbles as you peel the backing off. Pop a hole in it for the blade to pass through trim, around the edge with a sharp blade and away you go. It protects the table and gives a nice low friction surface.

A 5m roll is a few quid and is more than enough for quite a few covers. :wink:

Regards,
Ed

rob39":3ew17buu said:
Hi all
Been out of action recently and noticed my saw bed getting rusty and other bits of cr@p collecting on it. I'm led to believe their is a paste you can buy to clean it????
I'd wipe it over with an oily rag.

Not meaning to thread jack here. Cleaning do you add a wax or similar to reduce friction? My router table is almost useless due to it being so "grippy".

Monkey Mark":usgpqv25 said:
Not meaning to thread jack here. Cleaning do you add a wax or similar to reduce friction? My router table is almost useless due to it being so "grippy".
Scribble a candle over it. Just a quick squiggle it only takes 2 seconds

Wire wool and elbow grease to clean the rust, Liberon Lubricating Wax to keep it clean and slippy. I used it on my Multicut 2S until I made a ply subtable and I still use it on other machines to keep rust at bay. Cheap enough at about 8 quid for 500ml, as it goes a long way.

martinka":34btp3tl said:
...... Cheap enough at about 8 quid for 500ml, as it goes a long way.
That is extremely expensive. A penny* candle will do the job just as well and last many years.
*adjusted for inflation

Jacob":3py2cqf1 said:
martinka":3py2cqf1 said:
That is extremely expensive. A penny* candle will do the job just as well and last many years.
*adjusted for inflation
Cheapest candle I can find is 99p :mrgreen: , unless I use a tea light I guess.

Monkey Mark":2zmzgp79 said:
Jacob":2zmzgp79 said:
martinka":2zmzgp79 said:
*adjusted for inflation
Cheapest candle I can find is 99p :mrgreen: , unless I use a tea light I guess.
Tea lights are go! They really do last for years if you just do a quick scribble as and when.

Tea lights are go! They really do last for years if you just do a quick scribble as and when.
That's excellent! The wife wanted some more anyway. 200 for £7, should last a while. :lol:

rob39":lr8zwbt8 said:
Hi all

Any of the techniques (chemical OR abrasive) recommended for cleaning plane bodies (excepting electrolysis - you'd need disassembly and a hell of a big tank) would work fine.

Almost any kind of wax afterwards, to protect and lubricate.

Plenty of choice.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back