Sauter Shop and import taxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigersFan

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing some items from Sauter shop. Has anyone, who has used them, had any issues with import tax as they are in the EU and the UK isn't?

Would imagine anything will be ex Germany tax/duty free and the carrier will kindly look after everything for you and charge you for it. HMRC did want EU retailers to charge everything and repay them but, rightly, not many bothered.

Edit-Just looked up their small print:

Deliveries to countries outside the EU, will not be charged any sales tax. However they may be subject to customs and value-added tax in the country of destination. The customer shall be deemed to be the importer and shall be obligated to pay the amounts due. These are normally collected by the shipping company (DHL, UPS etc.) who pass them on to the relevant authority in that country. Some handling costs may be charged.

One place that we purchase 'bathroom tissue' was called 'Earthmother'. They are in Southern Ireland.

Under their delivery info they have the following statement

UK Deliveries:

Unfortunately since Brexit we cant ship to you in the UK without setting up a UK VAT number and as a small business its not an option for us, so we can’t ship anything unfortunately..

So I would suggest you check any suppliet to see whether they will still ship to the mainland.

isterfish

Last edited:
Would imagine anything will be ex Germany tax/duty free and the carrier will kindly look after everything for you and charge you for it. HMRC did want EU retailers to charge everything and repay them but, rightly, not many bothered.

Edit-Just looked up their small print:

Deliveries to countries outside the EU, will not be charged any sales tax. However they may be subject to customs and value-added tax in the country of destination. The customer shall be deemed to be the importer and shall be obligated to pay the amounts due. These are normally collected by the shipping company (DHL, UPS etc.) who pass them on to the relevant authority in that country. Some handling costs may be charged.
Noel, Thanks for your response. It's the 'may be charged' I was worried about.

I have e-mailed the company but had no response.

My own experience of buying into a non-EU country from any other (EU or non) is that "it just depends". On what I don't know. Sometimes I pay (Swiss VAT and import tax) sometimes not. And to me anyway it does not seem to have any rhyme or reason - as said sometimes I have to pay, sometimes not. It does not seem to depend on the value, or on the type of goods either.

But there is one thing that really does offend me - the courier company's "handling charges" or "admin charges" or whatever they decide to call it. The likes of DHL, FedEx, TNT, UPS, etc, etc, all seem to add a charge which IMO anyway, is ridiculously high, and again seems to bear little or no relationship to either the value or the type of goods.

However, to look on the bright side for once (not that it helps you in UK)! I use Pegas blades for my scroll saw. They are made here in Switzerland. I buy them cheaper in Germany that I can from the official Pegas dealer here in Switzerland. Likewise, when I bought my Record air filter for the shop, it was cheaper from Germany (WITH Swiss VAT, customs duty, and shipping from there) than it was from the official Record dealer in Switzerland, about an hour's drive down the road from me.

Go figure.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have now had an email from Sauter and unfortunately they can't say if I'll pay any fees or not.

I am looking at parts to build a router table and was trying to decide between Incra products from Woodworkers Workshop or Sauter products. I think the mess left over from Brexit means I'll go down the Woodworkers Workshop route as the price agreed will be the price I'll pay.

When I purchased a straight edge from Fine tools in Germany the cost was 36 Eur, transport was 49 Eur and they stated

1666083024209.png

My recent EU purchases (less than £135) haven't attracted import charges and on some vat has not been charged. The carriage costs and delivery times have increased quite dramatically. Sauter and Fine tools have some really good lines. My Brexit beef is we are still not getting any better deals from the US. The retailer really doesn't have much of a say in the import costs, it is your liability; hence the guarded response from Sauterr.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have now had an email from Sauter and unfortunately they can't say if I'll pay any fees or not.

I am looking at parts to build a router table and was trying to decide between Incra products from Woodworkers Workshop or Sauter products. I think the mess left over from Brexit means I'll go down the Woodworkers Workshop route as the price agreed will be the price I'll pay.
Its sad but understandable that some EU suppliers are unwilling to employ people to keep abreast of the UK customs requirements that have been introduced because of Brexit.

UK retailers are likely to stock more EU products with time if there is enough volume for them to employ people to deal with the Brexit taxes and declarations. Obvoiusly we will pay more whoever deals with the additional work.

Personally TF, I think that's probably a wise decision. As said (above) I for one never know if I'll be charged or not, and if YES, then how much.

My Brexit beef is we are still not getting any better deals from the US.
A lot must be thinking that, but although we have a "special relationship" with America it does seem all one sided and America does like to be in control and I don't think they approved of Brexit and the Irish issues so no trade deal.

I've heard some real scare stories about the admin fee shipping companies add to an order. They hold it in this country and notify you the total due and ship it once paid. I buy stuff from Taylor Toolworks in the US Taylor Toolworks and they add vat and a surprisingly reasonable shipping charge. Banggood and Aliexpress both add vat. If you keep the order below £135 you don't pay import duty.

Its sad but understandable that some EU suppliers are unwilling to employ people to keep abreast of the UK customs requirements that have been introduced because of Brexit.

UK retailers are likely to stock more EU products with time if there is enough volume for them to employ people to deal with the Brexit taxes and declarations. Obvoiusly we will pay more whoever deals with the additional work.

I certainly wouldn’t bother doing HMRC’s work for them if I were an EU based retailer. I know many businesses that tell me it’s not worth the hassle and cost sending goods to GB.

I certainly wouldn’t bother doing HMRC’s work for them if I were an EU based retailer. I know many businesses that tell me it’s not worth the hassle and cost sending goods to GB.
It depends on how much they sell in the Great Britain (NI is not so effected by Brexit which makes some unhappy). If a company sells a lot to us it would be certainly worth them putting up there prices to pay for Brexit taxes and bureaucracy and still make some money.

I export the bulk of my product to overseas.

Even though im registered with IOSS (the equivalent for the EU - ie i take eu vat, and pay a Swedish company to process it for me - all part of "taking back control") the issue is that the average EU consumer knows nothing of these details, but has just been stung in the past with import duties.

The EU is a massive market, so its worth the bother. A small EU retailer... im not convinced they would bother for the uk market. Depends on their volume i guess.

I'm still waiting on the benefits of brexit. I'm sure there are plenty. There better be, for what its cost us as a nation.

Many UK stores won't ship to Europe any more, and many others who will charge ridiculous shipping charges. I went to buy a single 1/4BSF x 3/8" screw last saturday and the cost was £16.

I've heard some real scare stories about the admin fee shipping companies add to an order. They hold it in this country and notify you the total due and ship it once paid. I buy stuff from Taylor Toolworks in the US Taylor Toolworks and they add vat and a surprisingly reasonable shipping charge. Banggood and Aliexpress both add vat. If you keep the order below £135 you don't pay import duty.
In Italy the min admin charge from couriers is €20, the post office charges €6.

Same in Denmark, so it's actually cheaper for me to get on Ryanair and go shopping in Essex and come home with stuff in a bag. Mostly I don't bother though and order it from Germany if I can.

Back