Sash making video.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squib":350u1rxt said:
I am not sure if this has been posted before but it is just so accomplished as to make it look easy!!

https://vimeo.com/71697935

there's one thing I didn't get, why did he bore a hole straight through the tenon? there's no point in this whatsoever, because he didn't make it a draw bore tenon and stagger the hole, it doesn't make sense to me, surely the tenon would be weaker than without one.

Thank you - I enjoyed that.

A couple of interesting things for me, notably the method of cutting the tenons, that is chiselling the cheeks off, rather than rip-sawing.

I guess you do need very good quality timber to begin with to get nice mouldings like that with hand tools.

Cheers

thetyreman":1ibbtcg7 said:
squib":1ibbtcg7 said:
I am not sure if this has been posted before but it is just so accomplished as to make it look easy!!

https://vimeo.com/71697935

there's one thing I didn't get, why did he bore a hole straight through the tenon? there's no point in this whatsoever, because he didn't make it a draw bore tenon and stagger the hole, it doesn't make sense to me, surely the tenon would be weaker than without one.

They mentioned that glue could not be used as it would eventually fail. So maybe it is just another fail safe if the wedge was to come lose.

Interesting. Very much the US tradition, with the stick and rabbet plane. Over here it was more normal to use a sash fillister to cut the rebate for the glass and a separate moulding plane for the decorative side, on a slightly different sticking board. There are pros and cons to both systems, which could doubtless be debated at length.

Good to see the use of a fixed pin mortice gauge and the scribing templates.

I keep forgetting about Vimeo - there's some good stuff beyond YouTube.

At about 4:00, he uses a plane to create the inverse of the bead on the tenon shoulder. Never seen one like that - is it an Americanism, or do they just not survive as well and the others ?

Sheffield Tony":4hyezyoq said:
At about 4:00, he uses a plane to create the inverse of the bead on the tenon shoulder. Never seen one like that - is it an Americanism, or do they just not survive as well and the others ?

They were made over here, but are uncommon enough that they can't have been used by every sash maker. I think possibly they were more popular in Scotland. The few I have seen were by Scottish makers.
Interesting that he just copes a single piece - the descriptions I have read all refer to cramping a set of pieces together and planing them all, which would limit the problem of tear out at the back.

A good watch, love how the old timers use to work we have it so easy now its untrue. Loved the brushless drill 1st time I've seen one like that. Great stuff.

thetyreman":1b3zibi1 said:

The dowel pin keeps it together. It's already clamped up tight, and the maker is not using glue, so the dowel stops it coming apart.

These days we have chemical glues that would withstand the environment, but in those days it was just animal glue, which would fail.

S

Great video, I really enjoyed seeing how they were made, so different to the way I was taught. But we had the benefit of machines and modern glues.

I haven't seen the tenon cheek cutting done in this way on such small timber but is common on larger tenons or Oak framing work.

Regarding the dowel pinned joints, I have some workshop stools that must be 80 years old, made from beech and animal glued. The glue gave up years ago but the dowel pinned joints hold the stools together whilst allowing them to wobble and rack as the school kids would have done for the previous 60 years of their life.

Cheers Peter

thetyreman":2gkk6zm2 said:

I have done something similar but with a squareish peg, i.e a square peg in a round hole, its never coming out, the knack is to make iit square enough to grab but round enough so it doesn't split the work.

Matt

Really interesting video. I have 14 large sash windows in my Victorian house and do take the frames to my workshop to repair them. I often wondered about their original construction and am impressed by the skill used in making them. My windows are made from pitch pine and when I do replace parts that have rotted (due to my lack of maintenance) I am amazed at just how sound the non rotted timber is, the timber smells as new and fresh as it probably did 120+ years ago when the windows were made. Pitch pine is very hard to work though.

I must admit I was impressed by the quality of workmanship in this video, it makes me realise how poor my work is. :)

Back