Sash cramps; Rutland & Silverline - mini review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
In need of more cramps and gasping at the price of the market leader, I chanced my arm on a dozen Silverline Expert 900mm at £7.70 each (inc VAT), well under 1/3 of the price of the Records, (which are now made in China for Irwin). What did I get?

As you might expect, at this price you don't get perfection! The cramps looked the part, but close examination shows some carelessness. In every case, the clamping load was taken by the small pin that retains the moving head to the screw. This was bound to fail or jam, but easily cured by removing the pin and inserting between 2 to 4 washers (as spacers) under the end of the screw. The sole purpose of the pin is to retract the head (and also stop it falling off the end of the screw). A split pin would be a good idea, in case the washer spacer wears a bit and needs further attention. The cramp was unlubricated, I left the rolled acme thread dry (PTFE spray) and put a big blob of grease under the screw head.

The cramps work well, despite the parts being somewhat loose on the bar - this disappears as soon as the slack is taken up. A nice feature, the cramping surface is quite large (45x50mm) and machined flat, so it's easy to fit wooden cheekpieces with double sided tape if needed.

At this point, Rutland reduced the price of their blue "made in the same factory as the market leader" cramps, making them about the same price as a similar length Silverline. I ordered 12 of these (54" or ~1400mm) at the sale price of a tenner each. How did these compare? At first sight these look a little better made, but Records they ain't.

The bar is the same size as the Silverline, (the usual 1/4"x1 1/4") and plated, the screw similar but very greasy, and the pinning of the moving head to the screw looks better. However most cramps needed a washer spacer to stop tightening mangling the retaining pin. There's less play in the moving parts. The heads are lighter, and the working face of the cramp is a lot smaller (28x48mm) and is not machined flat (evidence of hand grinding to remove flashing) so not very easy to add wooden cheekpieces or even cork sheet. Some of the bars had been bent by hole punching and had to be straightened. The "Same factory" story may well be true, but very definitely meaningless hype.

Both cramps have the adjusting pin on a short length of steel cable (bowden/cycle brake inner). This looks cheap but is quite efective as the spring of the cable can be used to stop the pin falling out! Traditionalists will have to get some galv'd jack chain (for hanging industrial lighting) from an electrical factors, around a fiver for 10M.

All cramps, including Records, will bend under load. To prevent the work popping out with a loud bang (!) it shoud be supported separately from the cramp bar. The work should also be at a height to be centred on the cramping screw, with triangular clamping blocks as illustrated in David Charlesworth's book.

Value for money? I would have been very unhappy to pay the full £20 for the Rutland, but ~£10 each (sale price) OK. The Silverline, despite the need for fettling, still look good value against the Record. Now also made in China, the Record may not be all it was either... Both cheaper cramps have a lifetime g'tee. If I needed more, at these prices I think it would be the Silverline.

You can also buy the Silverline Expert sash cramps from Toolstation. I've bought a few for myself and they do represent good value. I also rate them much higher than the cheaper aluminium models. I found the acme threads to be a little stiff on a couple of them but, they're tough enough.

My tip is to put some wax on the bars, so that the heads slide easier and you also don't end up gluing them to your work! :D

I've just started using Record sash cramp heads with wooden bars (cut from waste material) and they also seem to offer good value at the lower end of the market. :)

I have a problem with my Records as they keep rusting along the bar from glue etc then the rust rubs off on the work.
I find it a pain having to put masking tape on the bar every time i use them....any ideas to stop this?
Mike

dicktimber":2itn8s58 said:
I have a problem with my Records as they keep rusting along the bar from glue etc then the rust rubs off on the work.
I find it a pain having to put masking tape on the bar every time i use them....any ideas to stop this?
Mike

Yes Mike, do as the above poster has done.

Rich.

dicktimber":2qfid940 said:
Coat the bars with wax after you have cleaned them, should stop the glue sticking and rusting them up.

Rich.....
That must have slipped in when I nodded off!!!!
Silly meeeeeeee :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mike

I'd better make it plain that the cramps reviewed are both cast iron on steel bar, not aluminium. They are real alternatives to the Record, which is now almost £30 a cramp at this size.

The Axminster Ali cramps linked to above, are made of thin Ali and are very bendy, suitable for very lightest cramping only. They are a poor copy of a US design which had a much thicker extrusion (~3mm) Tilgear Used to carry the original US version, which was tightened by an enormous wingnut looking handle. These are very good, almost as rigid as steel.

Wax (or PTFE dry spray) is good on the threads too, as it doesan't collect dust and grit. A blob of grease inside the moving head, under the end of the screw, is also essential.

The Silverline Expert 900 mm sash cramp is available below at £7.71 inc VAT, free delivery over £75. They seem good to deal with, answer emails promptly, and do what they promise (at least so far!) Found them with a web search on siverline/expert/sash/cramp; you may do better?

http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?recid=754

I have some Paramo cramp heads (like Tilgear Sekura) which snug down onto the wooden bar under pressure. Paramo also sold these on 25 x50 RHS (hollow, 3mm wall thickness). I've copied this idea for a long cramping job (6M of 25x50 RHS cost about 15 quid at the stockholder's). Nice and rigid, the 25x50 bar flexed only about 3mm at centre span of the 2.3M cramp (!) when fully tightened. The heads had to be taped loose from the bar after use, so the snuggle down feature works on steel too.

dicktimber":6bmyd4op said:
Mike
With my proper :) Record sash cramps I've just given the bars a smear of linseed oil. Once this dries bone hard in a few days it forms a thin seal against the effects of rust and glue. I've never had any problems with rust or glue sticking to them - Rob

Latest posts

Back