sandpaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midge29

Established Member
Reaction score
could you please advise on the best value for money sandpaper to buy , seem to be getting through a lot and last time i purchased some i tried the abranet strips but i dont think they lasted very long , was thinking of the ultimate abrasive from axminster where you get 1 mtr of each grade , would not mind buying more in bulk if anyone knows of any good places , thank you ,

i use this Mirka Carat Sandpaper for hand sanding and and the same stuff nev linked for my arbors

Hi

Would I be correct in assuming that Rhyno Grip can't be torn into slimmer strips?

Is there a non Velcro backed version?

Regards Mick

torn , no. cut with pair of scissors yes. I generally cut mine into i/2 inch to 3/4 inch strips x 2inch and will usually use (less than?) one of these of each grit on any given job, so it goes a long way.

Hi all

Just a quick thank you to the forum for the recommendations of my abrasive. Whenever the topic comes up sales of abrasive go up too, so I know when it's being discussed!! :D

For those that don't know, I don't only sell this abrasive, but also use it on a daily basis, and so believe that it is one of the best abrasives around for what we do.

I have tried the version without the velcro backing. It is the same abrasive but a little cheaper, but I found that it is less comfortable to use because the thin layer of velcro seems to absorb some of the sanding heat and so makes the sanding experience somewhat better. I decided to stick with just the velcro backed after that.

Thanks again

Richard

I ordered a mixed pack this week on the back of these discussions. I've been using the open mesh type abrasive for a wee while, which does leave a nice finish. I suffer from a combination of carpal tunnel syndrome & vibration whitefinger, so tend to be a tad heavy handed when sanding due to the lack of feeling in my fingers. Sometimes I have no idea how hard I am pressing. The open mesh sometimes gets a bit hot as a result of this, which means a lot of friction burns.
Anything leaving a good finish with fewer burns will get my vote. Here's hoping.

Over the 20 or so years I have been turning I have tried many different abrasives, non have been as cost effective or as practical and efficient as the Rhyno Grip from Richard.

I'm not knocking Rynogrip because I like using it too but there are times when I think other abrasives are more cost effective.

For big bowls and platters particularly when wet sanding with oil I use the Mirka Avomax (80 to 120 grit) and Hiomant (150 & 180 grit) abrasive rolls.

I also like the Hermes ultimate abrasive from 180 grit up which my old club (Hamshire Woodturners) used to buy in bulk and sell at cost at around £2.75 per metre.

I also like the Axminster 1" abrasive strip kits for small stuff (4 rolls of cloth backed) like boxes.

I've also heard good reports of the Abranet from Mirka although never tried it myself.

I think it's always good to have plenty of options and the cheaper it is the less likely you are to hang on to it for too long - like all tools it needs to be sharp to cut.

HTH
Jon

To somewhat sidetrack the thread a bit, how useful are disc sanders? are they only for wood or do some of you use them for sharpening tools?

I find Abranet is great and seems to last for ages. I even use older bits of 600 grit as they tend to give a polished finish. I am still new to this so have not tried some of the others mentioned but can agree that velcro backed seems to absorb some of the heat generated.

Can anyone suggest a way to sand the centre of bowls without the sandpaper tending to whip out of position?

procell":wupuw13x said:
Can anyone suggest a way to sand the centre of bowls without the sandpaper tending to whip out of position?

Hi

I find either 'power sanding' with a variable speed drill driver and sanding disc on a foam pad or the 'Sandmaster' type tools to be the best way.

(But as I don't produce many bowls I may not be using the best method)

Regards Mick

Hi

I've used Klingspor J Flex for years - is Rhyno Grip better? Where would I get the non Velcro backed version and what is it sold as?

Regards Mick

procell":lirlhlb2 said:

Depending on bowl size, stop the lathe and hand sand with the grain across the centre or power/passive sand.

HTH
Jon

Spindle":1241gass said:
Hi

I've used Klingspor J Flex for years - is Rhyno Grip better? Where would I get the non Velcro backed version and what is it sold as?

Regards Mick

Hi Mick

I can get you the non-Velcro backed stuff... If you want 50m rolls. To be honest, the Velcro backed is cheap enough that it isn't a problem. See my website for pricing details of the Velcro backed.

Cheers

Richard

Got my abrasive pack yesterday Richard, many thanks again. Tomorrow will see me putting it through its paces. Cut into strips, it looks like it will last quite a long time.

Tom

Back