Sandpaper or not on the EB3?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this so I put it in general.

Just got my EB3 and wondering if I should use the sticky back sandpaper on the face of the fence or not? Makes sense to make it non slip but would love some opinions from people who have used one of these guides please.

Martin

Martin

As for the non slip paper on the EB3 I recommend that you use it as directed. This will help hold the work in place when you are using the tool. If it is not attached you stand a very good chance of the wood slipping.

Mart
Definitely go for the sandpaper - I tried it without for a while and you get slippage, especially on mitre cuts.
I didn't get a glide strip - lucky you! :wink: I imagine it will go on the bottom of the fence where it slides on the table.
Cheers
Philly :D

Martin

I didn't use the sticky paper that goes on the glide bar, didn't really see a need for it as I keep my table top waxed. But if you wish to insert it, it goes underneath the section that runs on the table top.

I put the sandpaper on mine including both sides of the sliding stop extension for the occasions when I want to cut from the other miter slot. It usually set for the left side of the blade. A friend likes his to the right.

Mine didn't come with any glide tape and I haven't felt the need for any.

Easier switching from one miter slot to the other would be a nice improvement (maybe I should just get a second :) ) and I would have preferred a finer grit for the sand paper. (Mine was about 100 grit.)

It has worked well for me but when ever I turn around there seams to be another one on the market. Unlike planes, chisels and sharpening stones I think you can have too many miter gages.:D

Enjoy yours.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough of the anti-slip stuff to do both sides of the extension. Given my shop setup and space I always use it on the left but since my blade angles right perhaps I should have a re-shuffle.

martlewis":1icgffj8 said:
Unfortunately I didn't get enough of the anti-slip stuff to do both sides of the extension.

If it hasn't already dawned on you a single disc of PSA sandpaper for a random orbit sander will work, and several cut and trimmed would do the entire fence if you want to try a different grit or two. Might not have quite as much stick as the supplied fence paper but has more than enough hold since it's not spinning. :)

Hello Martle.
I eventually put the abrasive on mine as it does stop slippage,but find it awkward to slide the timber up to the blade to make another cut if you have to take another fraction off. :(
I have rubbed it down slightly to make it more smooth,works a bit better :)
Paul.J.

I put sandpaper on mine as there was slippage without it.

However, being so course, I found the supplied sandpaper dropped small bits of grit which got trapped under the gauge and caused light scratching on the cast iron table if you weren't careful.

I replaced it with adhesive backed sandpaper from screwfix. Not quite as course (but plenty course enough) and no more bits scratching the table.

Jeff

Back