Sandpaper distressed wood finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I did a bit of research. Basically the idea is to find a bit of old furniture, or make something a bit rusticated to start with, and if you feel like it, give it a bit of a sand, apply paint, then get some abrasive paper and/or sponge sanding blocks, and sand the paint off a bit at corners, edges, arm rests, stretchers and other places that would be liable to normal wear and tear. It probably fits quite neatly into the 'upcycling' trend that seems to be a thing nowadays, and is kind of aligned to a style of furniture I've always known simply as shabby chic. Here's a link to an example of the technique: Slainte.

It is annoying that the photo has gone, but it wasn't as you describe here. It looked more like the piece had been finished with a bandsaw and varnished, but it was smoother than if it had been prepared that way. It wouldn't have looked out of place as a fake rustic chain pub table. It looked fake rough rather than fake worn.

Well, I did a bit of research. Basically the idea is to find a bit of old furniture, or make something a bit rusticated to start with, and if you feel like it, give it a bit of a sand, apply paint, then get some abrasive paper and/or sponge sanding blocks, and sand the paint off a bit at corners, edges, arm rests, stretchers and other places that would be liable to normal wear and tear. It probably fits quite neatly into the 'upcycling' trend that seems to be a thing nowadays, and is kind of aligned to a style of furniture I've always known simply as shabby chic. Here's a link to an example of the technique: Slainte.

Thanks for that. I did a bit of this years ago; mainly as a cheap way to please The Better Half and not knowing any better. I even went as far (not very) as mixing my own chalk paint (a doddle) and dabbled with assorted waxes to aid paint removal and faux aging. That was then but it did lead me on to other things... so not all bad.

I'd be looking towards prop makers and the like if I wanted to know how to distress and age something.
no one makes something expensive look knackered like a prop maker, excluding perhaps a 4 year old child that is. :)

Anyways, can anyone tell me, how to make a pallet out of an old cabinet, I can't get hold of any pallets and want to make a futon, but I've got this old piece of junk that I'd happily upcycle, it's been pretty poorly kept and some bloke has carved his name and job in the back, think it says Tom chip and dale or something but it's hard to tell.
harringtoncommode1.jpg

It is annoying that the photo has gone, but it wasn't as you describe here. It looked more like the piece had been finished with a bandsaw and varnished, but it was smoother than if it had been prepared that way. It wouldn't have looked out of place as a fake rustic chain pub table. It looked fake rough rather than fake worn.

Without wishing to stir up a previous discussion, this is another example of "Edit Button" abuse.

Something tells me that this new member who has asked a simple question, will be looking for a different forum. It's a shame when the "pack" mentality kicks in. Happens too often now IMO.

Something tells me that this new member who has asked a simple question, will be looking for a different forum. It's a shame when the "pack" mentality kicks in. Happens too often now IMO.
That's a fair point TWW and worth posting as a reminder generally.
I know something of you as a regular poster on here. Not much of course but enough to have a fair idea you are knowledgeable and contribute.
In this case a brand new member (so unknown is my point, not worth less because they are new etc) asked a question which is great, those that clicked on the link were most probably looking to help or interested in learning. One of the things on here that still amazes me is how friendly most are and how helpful.
Where else would I be able to ask a question as a complete amateur and find the likes of (for example in this case let's take published wood author), Sgian Dubh, happy to offer useful advice and experience that's taken a lifetime to accumulate? Most of the early posts were from very knowledgable members before I stumbled in as a weekend tryhard.

Perhaps a couple of members were short, me included, but to turn up as a new member and incite that response normally takes some doing from generally friendly regular contributors. Perhaps some get fed up with the occassional new face who turns up and demands a tailored answering service for free then generally disappears forever when the one off sanding project doesn't turn out how it looked on the TV restoration program that inspired it. Then edits the post to boot.

Most people that contribute and reply to threads are happy to help, but it takes some measure of respect and manners given both ways for it to flourish.
But don't turn up to a party with no booze then complain about the drink is what I mean.

Regards as always,
Chris

this new member who has asked a simple question

I'm not sure whether it was a case of late-night beer goggles or not but I couldn't work out exactly what the question was asking, nor could I figure out what the picture was as it was pretty low resolution as well as looking like just a piece of wood with a bit of spalting in it.

Question posted at 21:31 Sunday night and taken down at 09:41 the following morning, he didn't have much hope of many members in Britain seeing the bloody thing!

It was not even his entitled attitude that pineappled me off, I don’t even care about the ones that ask a question and then never return or contribute further to the forum. slip in get what you need then slip out again, happy days, just don’t water in my pocket and tell me it’s raining

I have been using this brushing machine to give an aged finish on some western red cedar I am recycling ... it has a steel brush at the front and a counter rotating tynex / nylon brush... slower you go the more rustic the finish.. Brushing machine

The op is clearly too used to services such as Amazon Prime. This isn't a "same day delivery" service. It is a genuine bank of knowledge, experience, witty banter and a lot of fun.

I for one am genuinely thankful to have found UKW and have learnt quite a bit before I touched a workpiece for the first time.

Grace and gratitude seem to be a thing of the past now!

I just could never finish a piece of woodwork and then attack it with abrasives and/or metal chains. It is just akin to vandalism to me. The same people who think this is a good idea are often the people who throw out furniture merely because it's looking tired! If I am going it to invest time I would sooner repair a piece properly or make new.

John

Well that's just great isn't it.
I posted for some help at at 10:06 yesterday in this thread and no one can be bothered to answer it.
some forum this is, I'd leave but I think I'd prefer to stay and complain about how the lot you are a shower of excrement for not helping me.

Latest posts

Back