Sandpaper distressed wood finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jupiter

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I took my post of here as it doesn't seem that I'd get any help here. Well not soon anyway.

Last edited:
You posted it yesterday evening and took it down this morning?

yeah, I’d have expected 50 answers in that time...

I read the question and looked at the photo several times last night, and I still had no idea what the hell you were talking about so left it.

it had about 50 views, but no one bothered to answer. if people don't know how this finish could be achieved someone could presume something, but no,no interest in helping me figuring it out. I will figure it out on my own only I am not sure anymore what these platforms are for?

Hello and welcome to the UKW forum.
Your title sounds strange, maybe you could re post your query.
This forum has just had a facelift, and I do see some folks threads go un-answered
since then,
I think it may have something to do with the new latest posts box on the right hand side that might be a bit distracting.

You will get help if you can explain what you're wanting to achieve, especially if there are not many folks conversing back and fourth on those eight threads.
It seems it takes longer for those who have added their 2 cents to them posts, to
enter into the specific forum and then actually bite, so
its more important than it was before to really think about the headline of your thread.

Is it that you are wanting to repair scuffs on a piece of furniture?

Tom

I agree..... not all of us log in every day and read everything - nor do we know everything.

However, for what it's worth, back in the days of pine-stripping doors, late 80s, I was asked to make a bookcase and to, wait for it...."distress it" . That was a new concept to me at that time but the height of fashion in those days

I considered it for a while and suggested that, as I made the bookcase to last many years - it was solid Oak and 7 feet tall - it would get to be very well distressed around the middle of this century.

That was a job that I didn't get. Neither do I get this phony wear principle.

Sorry!

1604344429455.png

The above is what I got when I just logged in - that's the number watching the site. 50 views doesn't mean anything. A little patience goes a long way!

I tapped in to this thread as I was curious. I wondered if it was perhaps to do with a brushed finish (removing the softer gubbins from between the harder grains) as I've never heard of the title as a finish. As with all things... I'm most likely way off:geek:

I have extensive knowledge and experience of distressed and enhanced, aged finishes, but I just can’t be pineappled sharing them with ignorant people. Get a life.

I have extensive knowledge and experience of distressed and enhanced, aged finishes, but I just can’t be pineappled sharing them with ignorant people. Get a life.
Yep, only done one myself, but likewise, why should we help someone like that!

it had about 50 views, but no one bothered to answer. if people don't know how this finish could be achieved someone could presume something, but no,no interest in helping me figuring it out. I will figure it out on my own only I am not sure anymore what these platforms are for?
Well, I'm sorry you didn't get the help you wanted. I suspect if you'd been a bit more patient somebody would have eventually tried to assist. I did actually look at your question, and looked at the photograph (poor quality and low resolution as I recall), but was a bit stumped by your description of a "sandpaper distressed wood finish". I've been around wood finishing for a long time and never come across a finishing regime described that way. I decided to move on because I didn't want, at that particular time, to get involved in a discussion in which I sought clarification from you before I could provide some guidance.

As I said, sometimes you just have to be patient when you post a question, particularly if you're new to a board. Regulars don't know what type of character they're dealing with and they tend to wait to see the online personality that develops and learn what pre-existing skills and knowledge emerges as you become better known to longer term users.

Still, whether or not you stay as a user of this board you've already made a strong impression which is basically: I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I want help immediately, and I want it for free ... NOW, from one of this sad bunch that post here! Come on, hurry up, answer, lay it out all nicey, nicey on a plate for me ... don't you thickos here know how important I am!

Brilliant opening posts on your part, and I, for one, will probably endeavour to ignore any requests for help you may pose in the future. Slainte.

Click on Sgian Dubhs website link above to see the sort of level of skill and knowledge you are willfully alienating by your quite strange approach. And he's not the only one. I once sanded some stuff down myself. Most people in this thread are highly experienced woodworkers though.
You don't deserve help. Well possibly you do but goodluck with that. It's unsusal to incite such a level of distaste so fast on here with people who only clicked on your link to help. Except me and Deadeye who thought we might learn summat for free if we were nice and had learnt as adults when to be quiet in the face of experience and not act like a spoilt toddler.

I'm still in the dark as to what "sandpaper distressed wood finish" is... something that's been sanded? I'll get my coat.

So - as a person who has dabbled with various distressed type wood finishes in my own work, sandblasting, wire brushing, fire, scuffing, ageing to name a few, I MIGHT have been able to help if the post was still live and I probably still would if you re-considered. However you'll have to excuse my tardiness in not replying to the previous one in a timely fashion to suit your timeframe, I was too busy with my own current project, and other life related (and time consuming) pursuits to even log in to look at the dozens and dozens of new posts yesterday.

This forums very existence is here as a font of VOLUNTARY knowledge, as are the majority of others, and I can assure you the knowledge and experience is VAST; running the full scale from hobbyists like me who dabble in the shallow end to people like Sgian Dubh and Custard (and some well known names in the woodworking world) who's work is of fine "heirloom quality" cabinetry and furniture and where a SINGLE PIECE will command a pricetag in the many thousands.

The information is also usually disseminated in a way a novice can easily understand, but you do actually have to give us the TIME to provide such knowledge at OUR convenience.

But feel free to show yourself out, because there's one single rule of woodworking above all else, it will take TIME and PATIENCE to learn; weeks, months, years and DECADES depending on how far you want to go, and you seem to be lacking both.

Or...you could post it again, sit back - and let us do our thing, you might actually learn something you can put into practice.

PS the "google world of instant gratification / knowledge etc" has a lot to answer for an increasing amount of "needy impatience" from people.
PPS - 50 views is less than 1% of this forums total readership - perspecitve is everything.

Last edited:
I'm still in the dark as to what "sandpaper distressed wood finish" is... something that's been sanded? I'll get my coat.
Well, I did a bit of research. Basically the idea is to find a bit of old furniture, or make something a bit rusticated to start with, and if you feel like it, give it a bit of a sand, apply paint, then get some abrasive paper and/or sponge sanding blocks, and sand the paint off a bit at corners, edges, arm rests, stretchers and other places that would be liable to normal wear and tear. It probably fits quite neatly into the 'upcycling' trend that seems to be a thing nowadays, and is kind of aligned to a style of furniture I've always known simply as shabby chic. Here's a link to an example of the technique: Slainte.

Back