Sanding rolls for axm dual drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have a Axminster dual drum sander does anyone know where I can get the rolls of sandpaper for it which is cheaper than Axminster price which is about £40 a roll thanks

I have one of the sanders. 600mm ish wide. Floor standing thing...

Paper is an irritation. The machine is an American design, I think. They're sold under a number of different brands.

Anyway, i think rolls of American paper are slightly narrower than ours, and if you use ours directly, the paper doesn't end where the clamp thing is.

I heard of someone moving the clamp, but then the drum needs balancing and it seemed a bit involved for me.

Currently I'm buying mirka rolls and trimming 15mm (or whatever it is) off the side. Which is tedious as it blunts the blade quickly if you cut too deep from the back side.

Mirka paper seems nice. I made the mistake of using some very cheap stuff once and it tore up the instant the job touched it, but the mirka stuff lasts a while.

Hi I have a Axminster dual drum sander does anyone know where I can get the rolls of sandpaper for it which is cheaper than Axminster price which is about £40 a roll thanks
Does it take 102mm wide loadings? My solution for my 16-32 was to buy rolls of 6" P120 from EFA which are now very cheap. I made a jig for cutting this lengthwise so out of the 50m roll I can get at least 40 loadings . You could try something similar with 115mm rolls.
Brian

Brian

Does it take 102mm wide loadings? My solution for my 16-32 was to buy rolls of 6" P120 from EFA which are now very cheap. I made a jig for cutting this lengthwise so out of the 50m roll I can get at least 40 loadings . You could try something similar with 115mm rolls.
Brian

Brian
Brian is your machine a Laguna 16-32?
Do you split the 6" into 2 x 3" or will it fit as a 6"?
I buy in 3"120g rolls but they are more expensive than 6"

Cheers

I modified my sander to run standard width paper belts. I use Mirka Juplex paper for this. To stop the paper from tearing I use 3M aluminium tape on either end where it connects the the drum. (Prevents the paper from tearing.) I cut a strip of tape about 2" long and stick it on the paper side. Then for extra measure super glue the edges. All I have ran for the past 5 years. Made about 100 belts in that time.

http://skinnerdesigns.blogspot.com/2017/02/jet-22-44-plus-drum-sander-modification.html

Brian is your machine a Laguna 16-32?
Do you split the 6" into 2 x 3" or will it fit as a 6"?
I buy in 3"120g rolls but they are more expensive than 6"

Cheers
Mine is an old Jet. I just cut the 6" down the middle and that provides 2 loadings that replicate the original design. The problem with the EFA products is that they only do 120 and 180.
Brian

I too have just acquired a used Axminster dual drum sander which looks identical to the AP365 and I have been looking at Deerfos 100mm wide stiff emery cloth sandpaper rolls, which at £2.20/m (from Dr Abrasive) are less than 1/3 of Axminster's price.

Does anybody have any experience of this stuff or any better alternatives?

I plan to put 100 grit on the front drum and 180 grit on the rear, but am open to any advice to the contrary.

Back